AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this for ages now and since I had my new setup (Sony 52" XBR5 + VP50pro) calibrated properly and still can't find a solution, I'd appreciate any hints.

The scaler + TV is calibrated to US standards, e.g. Avia/DVE/HCFR and american movie DVDs and BluRays look stunning. When I throw in a japanese DVD with a american movie (don't have too many, but Charlie's Angles for example) everything's still fine, but when I watch japanese movies no matter if the DVD is old or new (some Itami stuff or Ecstasy Hotel or the latest Kitano) the black/white levels are always completely off. Blacks are rather washed out greys and the picture is missing it's punch.

Eyeballing I usually take the brightness down 5 points and increase the contrast by the same amount in comparison to the calibrated settings. Is there an logical explanation for this effect ? A decade back, when I first got in japanese DVDs there was the 0 IRE vs. 7.5 IRE problem, but I thought this applicable only for analogue connections only and doesn't matter nowadays with HDMI connections.

I have A LOT of japanese movies (on japanese DVDs) and while I'm "ok" with eyeballing the settings for them, I really wonder if there's a proper way to calibrate the scaler and/or TV for the viewing of those discs ????

Tobias

·
Registered
175 Posts
Japanese DVDs should be the same. Even over analog connections.

It's Japanese laserdiscs and VHS that would be a little darker.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked easily 2 dozens japanese DVDs/movies, all show the same behaviour. You have any to check ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts