AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

AVIA only works for the subwoofer calibration when the speakers set to SMALL. If I calibrate my speakers and subwoofer with the speakers set to SMALL and then switch the speakers to LARGE, can I consider the speakers and, more importantly, the subwoofer to still be calibrated properly?

TIA

sivadselim

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, I think they would sound identical. I would leave them at small unless u have fronts that have woofers that are 10" or larger.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 /forum/post/13003918

Yes, I think they would sound identical. I would leave them at small unless u have fronts that have woofers that are 10" or larger.

Oh, I am well aware of the benefits of running speakers as SMALL but I have encountered an instance where I have no choice.

To be specific, unfortunately my new OPPO DV-980H has a huge flaw and does not properly bass manage DVD-As with tracks that are 96kHz and higher. Instead, when the speakers are set to SMALL, it simply treats these tracks as if the speakers are LARGE and sends only the LFE channel to the subwoofer. So, since I am unable to bass manage my receiver's multichannel analog inputs, if I want to keep this player, I really have no choice but to listen to my DVD-As (most of which have 96kHz and higher tracks) this way. Other options include an ICBM or ICBM-like product.

This huge (and as far as I'm concerned, inexcusable) flaw in bass management has been a major disappointment for me with this new player.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
If I calibrate my speakers and subwoofer with the speakers set to SMALL and then switch the speakers to LARGE, can I consider the speakers and, more importantly, the subwoofer to still be calibrated properly?

No; you will get more bass output by up to 6 dB in the range where the speakers and sub overlap. Depending on where you are in the room, you may also get more dips because of cancellation. You're probably better off to treat the speakers as SMALL even if they aren't, unless they are big enough that you only use the sub for the LFE channel, not for Bass Management.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/13004360

No; you will get more bass output by up to 6 dB in the range where the speakers and sub overlap.

The speakers and sub won't "overlap". The sub is sent only the LFE channel when the front speakers are set to LARGE. So, what I'm really asking, in a sense, is will my LFE channel still be calibrated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/13004360

You're probably better off to treat the speakers as SMALL even if they aren't, unless they are big enough that you only use the sub for the LFE channel, not for Bass Management.

see my post #3, above

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/13005735

I am not sure because there is, apparently, no LFE on AVIA. So, you are adjusting only the summed redirected bass. I have several discs that can provide discrete tones. Why restrict yourself to AVIA?

Well, I don't want to get too involved with this. I finally got out my meter today with the simple intention of level matching the OPPO's analog outs/receiver's ins to the digital connection when the speakers are SMALL. That was simple enough. I just threw the meter on the coffee table and did it without worrying about placing the meter at my exact listening spot. Everything turned out perfect; analog connections are all +1.5dB relative to the digital connection. What I didn't investigate, which I meant to do, is the player's crossover relative to the receiver's. Supposedly, the player has an 80Hz crossover which is my receiver's setting, too.

But I'm wondering about the calibration with the speakers set to LARGE. I guess the sub would be more likely to still be calibrated properly than the speakers, maybe, eh?

I have tones, but no other calibration discs. How would you check that the LFE channel was properly calibrated? I'd need a pure LFE tone for the subwoofer, which, now that I think about it, is probably calibrated fine in either instance, actually. For the speakers, what would I use? Would I simply use tones around my crossover setting and make certain that the [SMALL speakers+sub] read the same as the LARGE speakers alone?

As an aside, one thing I DID find out is that my sub was actually running "cool". This surprised me. I had thrown caution to the wind months ago and had simply set my subwoofer's output "to taste" with 2.1 music (SMALL with 80Hz xover), which is what I use my setup for, mostly, anyway. Using the same connection (multi analog) and settings with movies, I had always thought my sub was too "hot". Interestingly, today, with AVIA, I discovered it was actually running "cool" by more than just a few dBs. Go figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts