AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just wondering before I start trying to set my brightness, contrast on my proj. What do I do with the iris do I turn it off when calibrating? If not what speed should I use ,I can choose recommended,slow or fast. Pretty much my first try,I'll be using the Munsil and spears bluray,any suggestions,help would be appreciated Thank you! Jim

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Turn it off.

regards

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the prefered setting of the iris after calibrating,fast,slow,recommened or manual.I don't really understand how you determine which to use the proj. manual is no help at all,no explanation at all.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

From most pro calibrators ... the preferred setting is off or manual. Pick some light output/black level trade off that you want to live with and keep it there.

Regards

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/16987256

Greetings

From most pro calibrators ... the preferred setting is off or manual. Pick some light output/black level trade off that you want to live with and keep it there.

Regards

Michael:

Just to be clear...are you saying to turn the iris off for calibration but leave it on for actual viewing or are you saying to leave it off for both...

And, as a second question, why would one not calibrate with the iris in the setting that they will use for actual viewing as this would allow -- at least based on my undersatnding (perhaps somewhat limited at that) proper setting of brightness, contrast, greyscale, etc...

TIA.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

For calibration ... leave it off. (Any auto iris stuff)

After calibration ... Pros would say leave it off. Others that don't care about stuff like gamma or crushing or clipping images turn it back on. They would rather have the dynamic contrast improvement.

regards

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
What is the display? Some implement a dynamic iris better than others. With a good implementation the benefits are significant and the downsides very minor. With a bad implementation, obviously the downsides become more significant. I suggest you watch content with it turned on and off and decide for yourself what you prefer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16990453

What is the display? Some implement a dynamic iris better than others. With a good implementation the benefits are significant and the downsides very minor. With a bad implementation, obviously the downsides become more significant. I suggest you watch content with it turned on and off and decide for yourself what you prefer.

Chris:

This is what I would have thought...that said, would not have to proceed as follows:

1. Calibrate with iris = OFF

2. Calibrate with iris = ON

3. Watch material with both "calibration 1" and "calibration 2" and pcik the one that looks best

The point being is it not the case that brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. parameters / settings will be different depending on the position of the iris.

TIA

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Calibrating with the iris on is very difficult because you're hitting a moving target. It's simpler to calibrate with the iris off, then turn the iris on and see if you like it on, and if possible take a variety of measurements with it on to check if necessary, but what you're measuring will really depend on the pattern because the iris and gamma will be going all over the place depending on the APL of the pattern and how bright the pattern is in %. So I absolutely agree with Michael you calibrate with the iris off. However, whether or not you want to use the iris is a more complex question, and that depends on the display and how well its implemented, along with your own preferences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts