AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a PS4 hooked up to a ASUS VW246H monitor. I've calibrated my home tv's using Disney WOW, however when I tried calibrating my monitors the test patterns don't work.

I have my ps4 rgb set to full, and when I try to calibrate my brightness and contrast, no matter how high or low i set the settings, the patterns remain the same. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, so if anyone has slightest clue please help.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Sounds like the control you are adjusting for "Brightness" is actually the Backlight control... that will make the image darker or lighter but it WILL NOT set the Contrast or Brightness control for you.

Computer monitors may lack controls present in consumer video displays. It would not surprise me that the monitor has no actual Brightness or Contrast controls, especially in full-range RGB mode where it knows digital 0 should be the "blackest" setting and 254 is the "whitest" setting.

When monitors operate in RGB mode, processing the video is not straightforward... example... you determine Yellow in undersaturated (lacks intensity)... in YCbCr mode, it's quite easy to increase saturation. In RGB mode, increasing Yellow saturation is not as simple as increasing Red and Green because that will increase luminance also... if you only want to increase Yellow saturation without increasing Yellow Luminance and without change the hue of Yellow... you really have to do some fancy footwork in RGB space to get there... you are really better off making the changes in YCbCr, then converting back to RGB for display. Because those kinds of changes are difficult in RGB space, monitors that operate only in RGB mode may simply disable or not include controls that will change saturation or whatever else you might need to change.

The other thing about monitors, they may rely on the video driver that resides in the computer for everything and anything that has to do with calibration so you may not be using ANY controls on the monitor itself. It may be that you will have the controls you need in your video driver. Some drivers in general purpose computers have few or no controls that are very useful for calibration. Computers with more capable video subsystems may have fairly sophisticated driver-level controls. You won't know what's there until you go looking for the controls you have available. This is such specialized stuff that you'd be better off in a computer monitor calibration thread rather than a calibration thread that is focused primarily on consumer video displays like this calibration thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts