AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two nearfield subs and have been playing around with calibrating them. Calibrate to 74 or 75 db is way to loud and intense. I just want LF vibration from the subs. I have enough mid bass punch and spl from the other sub. How are you guys calibrating nearfield subs? Are you using a hpf? What spl are they calibrated to?

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Lol, I run my nearfield 10dB hot.... Just turn them down to like 70 or something if they are to loud. It's just personal preference.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've got them right now around 62-64 db. This seems pretty comfortable and a good TR. I am also using a lpf at 63 Hz. Since adding the Deep Invader subs, 17 cu ft vented boxes, I am just now finding time to get the system tuned. I have to many pictures on the walls for this setup, lol.

I can't remember where I read a good rule of thumb is to have the nearfield subs 10 db lower than the rest of the system. This way the nearfield sound is not greater than the rest of the system.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've been experimenting quite a bit with the level lately with my nearfields. My room is way different than yours with my seating more toward the center of the room (and subs right behind them like with your back/bum buster) in the living room, but I'm finding that I like my nearfeilds ran about 4db hotter than the front sub. On average I'm about 3-6 db hot for most movies with the front sub and then bump up another 4db for the nearsfields. I find with movies (not with music) that I prefer this. Seems like with it setup this way I get more mid bass slam and way more ULF wobble effect with nears ran hotter. Surprisingly though, I don't really ever feel like there is to loud of bass coming from behind me. I guess even though the front subs is not contributing as much as the nears, its just enough to pull it forward a bit so it seams like the bass is coming from everywhere. It could just be my room though. I know having the subs and LP in the middle of the room is not optimal. I also don't get much room gain either and have to EQ, but TR is wicked!

You may just try turning the nears down 1 db at a time until you get that perfect feel between the farfields and your nears. That's what I did. Like N8 said, I think its just a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I've got them right now around 62-64 db. This seems pretty comfortable and a good TR. I am also using a lpf at 63 Hz. Since adding the Deep Invader subs, 17 cu ft vented boxes, I am just now finding time to get the system tuned. I have to many pictures on the walls for this setup, lol.

I can't remember where I read a good rule of thumb is to have the nearfield subs 10 db lower than the rest of the system. This way the nearfield sound is not greater than the rest of the system.

I think it's totally room/personal dependant. If I had my subs 10dB lower than the mains, It would completely ruin the experience on my HT.
Who ever you read that rule of thumb from should have their thumbs cut off :D

Enjoy the fun!!!

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
I run my nearfield subs 5db or so lower than the front subs, I don't need the rears pounding away on the back of my head while the fronts are barely doing a thing. If I was running N8's system I'd be listening to it in volcano mode too.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think it's totally room/personal dependant. If I had my subs 10dB lower than the mains, It would completely ruin the experience on my HT.
Who ever you read that rule of thumb from should have their thumbs cut off :D

Enjoy the fun!!!

I re-calibrated the system to a flat FR and have 6 subs at 66 db at the MLP and the two flanking the Mains at 70 db. Minimal EQ with one low boost and a slightly higher cut. It sounds good. I can't hear the 2subs nearfield or the rear subs. I'm a mostly music person and this is good for now. I know I will be doing additional tweaks the rest of the week, fun, I guess.:(

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have two nearfield subs and have been playing around with calibrating them. Calibrate to 74 or 75 db is way to loud and intense. I just want LF vibration from the subs. I have enough mid bass punch and spl from the other sub. How are you guys calibrating nearfield subs? Are you using a hpf? What spl are they calibrated to?
Dj, why not use VS to calibrate? That's the whole purpose of the VS thread. I'm confused...
@coolrda

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The whole purpose of nearfield placement is the TR. I've never cut my nearfield subs even with 4x up front and 8x nearfield. All subs set to 75db. The added benefit is FR smoothing. Sounds like it's giving you a large midbass hump. It could be room placement. First thing to do is run all subs and take an FR and TR measurement and post. Are you using RC?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a chance this afternoon to play a couple of movie clips to test TR. TR is very good! I wanted to get things dialed in to a flat response before setting up a house curve. The VS testing is next. I set the subs so that the combined spl is around 73-75 db. This is the reason for the individual spl levels of 66 db.

I prefer sound wise not knowing the nearfield are there and just want the TR from them and the rear subs. This way, they are not even noticed with music. I'm 90% music most of the time. I did loose a little chest thump even though the overall TR is greater. I will tweak that back in.:)

I was able to get rid of one of the I Nuke amp with this setup. I need to stop some pictures from vibrating and a lamp. Can't do anything thing about the walls and doors for the most part. It's amazing with all this sub power that the Aura Pro's still add quite a bit more punch in the TR department.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is a FR with and without the hpf. Things look good at the XO point of 80 Hz. The sub trim is at -1. There is a bosst at 20 Hz and a large cut at 33 Hz. The room always leaves a hump in the 33 Hz range that carries out to around 40 Hz. Kinda like a built in house curve, lol.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ran the Eot clip three ways: 1.) Ref level with 5lb wt. and shakers, 2.) Ref level 5 lb wt no shakers and 3.) Eot sub and shakers no extra wt.

It is interesting to see how the TR changes with and without weight +/- the shakers. I will post these in the Vibsensor thread for discussion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Derrick,

Were in the same boat....

I recently added a nearfield sealed 21, right behind the mlp. At first I calibrated it to the same db that my other subs are set to. Bass was way over the top though and I felt like the 21 was overpowering the 4 ported 18's also in the room. I ended up turning down the gain on the 21 until the bass felt more all around me, rather than a relentless massage chair.

Now, I feel like things are dialed in pretty well. Bass is strong, clean , and very well balanced throughout the room.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Derrick,

Were in the same boat....

I recently added a nearfield sealed 21, right behind the mlp. At first I calibrated it to the same db that my other subs are set to. Bass was way over the top though and I felt like the 21 was overpowering the 4 ported 18's also in the room. I ended up turning down the gain on the 21 until the bass felt more all around me, rather than a relentless massage chair.

Now, I feel like things are dialed in pretty well. Bass is strong, clean , and very well balanced throughout the room.
Nice room from the pic in the avatar.:) A lot of guys are using smaller drivers for the nearfield subs. I think with these large drivers, the bass can be way to much. I did not know if two subs was enough for a large sectional, now I know, lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Derrick, do you have any FR measurements from the nearfield subs only? Curious to see what kind of gains you're getting from them.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not measured the nearfield sub by themselves. I'm only using the Bum Buster and a 4 cu. ft end table subs in the nearfield. I initially thought the Bum Buster sub behind the soft was to much and the Deep Invader caused to much room resonance. The subs weren't integrated and some serious phase issues.

Now that things are well integrated and playing well together, I am amazed that only two subs are more than enough for the large sectional. I will get some measurements up in the VS thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts