AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use the CA-1 color analyzer to get a decent gray scale on my Panny direct view HDTV. I doing service level settings, using AVIA through the component inputs. I can adjust red and blue gain just fine for bright windows. But for the low IRE end of the scale, changing the settings for green, red, and blue cut doesn't produce any changes in measured color temperature. So I have ended up with a gray scale that runs from about 4800 at 20 IRE to 9000 at 80 IRE, since I can't cool down the low IRE settings. Is there something funny about how the service level adjustments work on the Panny?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess I wouldn't call 9000 @ 80 IRE "just fine". It sounds like you're not adjusting the cut controls but rather some other - otherwise, both your eyeball and the meter will see the 20 IRE window change color as you change the setting over its range. Are you working from the service manual or the grapevine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I was using the Service manual, and I'm quite sure I was changing the cut registers. A service tech who didn't have an analyzer did the same adjustments (using my S-video inputs for the test signal), and he was able to change the cut settings. When I tried the same adjustments, but with my DVD connected through component inputs, the changes just didn't take. I could get the bright (80 IRE) screens right on 6480 degrees, but that put the low IRE screens down around 3000, and they looked horrible. So I compromised on the scale I described. I think, based on the SGHT review, that the problem might have been using the component inputs for 480i inputs, and that I have to use S-Video inputs to get the service-level adjustments to work. I hoped someone who works with Panasonic TVs would have had a comparable experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.