AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is my calibration report for the monitor. I need some pointers on how to use the video card drivers to tweak the color, they are noticeably oversaturated. I've tried moving the gamma, brightness, contrast of the green channel up and down but they only seem to make it worse.

I'm using HTPC Pattern Generator with CalMAN for the calibration. Meter used is X-Rite Chroma 5.

LP2475W_post-calibration.pdf 154.029296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
If your videocard is NVidia-based, make sure that the "Digital Vibrance" enhancement is OFF. If it's ATI or another chip, I'm not knowledgeable about those. You may want to ask this in the HTPC area as well.

I don't know if the C5 works with any of the usual monitor calibration packages-those that build monitor profiles for use by the video card. If it does, and even if it doesn't, you may want to invest in one anyway if the HTPC is your only program source. Although you get control over white point and gamma only, a custom profile can tame luminance and saturation issues. Look into ArgyllCMS. It's free and supports a number of different probes. AFAIK, it's command-line interface only so is a little more demanding to use, but some of the people here use it so help is available.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do on the PC side to bring the primaries back in.

If the monitor has an sRGB mode, you can try that. On my Dell that is equally overstaturated, sRGB mode does really bad things, so it's better to just go oversaturated.

Unfortunetly calman doesn't create ICC profiles, but color managed apps can use the ICC profiles to know how saturated the display is, and attmept to display the color correctly compared to the display it is created.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/18227939

If your videocard is NVidia-based, make sure that the "Digital Vibrance" enhancement is OFF. If it's ATI or another chip, I'm not knowledgeable about those. You may want to ask this in the HTPC area as well.

I don't know if the C5 works with any of the usual monitor calibration packages-those that build monitor profiles for use by the video card. If it does, and even if it doesn't, you may want to invest in one anyway if the HTPC is your only program source. Although you get control over white point and gamma only, a custom profile can tame luminance and saturation issues. Look into ArgyllCMS. It's free and supports a number of different probes. AFAIK, it's command-line interface only so is a little more demanding to use, but some of the people here use it so help is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18228216

There is absolutely nothing you can do on the PC side to bring the primaries back in.

If the monitor has an sRGB mode, you can try that. On my Dell that is equally overstaturated, sRGB mode does really bad things, so it's better to just go oversaturated.

Unfortunetly calman doesn't create ICC profiles, but color managed apps can use the ICC profiles to know how saturated the display is, and attmept to display the color correctly compared to the display it is created.

I'm on a Radeon HD 5850, all digital vibrance type enhancements are turned off. I do have the ColorMatch 3 software from my i1 LT, but the i1 has developed a defect and makes a nasty red tint in the calibration. I don't believe the software supports Chroma 5.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Do you need a good ICC profile?

Are you doing photoshop/design work?

Games/video/standard desktop apps, don't use ICC, so there isn't much you can do about those.

your video card does have a LUT that you can load to do greyscale/gamma calibration that is universally applied to the output.

I'm not sure if there is anything floating around that would allow you to manually set the LUT.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18228390

Do you need a good ICC profile?

Are you doing photoshop/design work?

Games/video/standard desktop apps, don't use ICC, so there isn't much you can do about those.

your video card does have a LUT that you can load to do greyscale/gamma calibration that is universally applied to the output.

I'm not sure if there is anything floating around that would allow you to manually set the LUT.

I only have the ones from the driver CD and the one made my Spyder2express which actually did nothing, flipping between the two profiles yield the same exact result. I'm not doing any photoshop work but just browsing webpages it's pretty noticeable the colors are oversaturated.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18229478

If you have a i1 D2 with the Eye-Match 3 (advanced mode), you can use an option called native white point to eliminate the pink color cast.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SupportID=4402

Also see this: http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SupportID=3505

I've tried using Laptop mode and that yielded the same red cast. I have a i1 LT so no native white point mode. Since I'm not sure if it's my i1LT that went defective, I don't want to go the upgrade code route. I may try looking through the options again.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if I can just use ColorMatch software and skip through the grayscale part since I did the grayscales with my Chroma 5 and the monitor's settings and let the ColorMatch software do the colors.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18229478

If you have a i1 D2 with the Eye-Match 3 (advanced mode), you can use an option called native white point to eliminate the pink color cast.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SupportID=4402

Also see this: http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SupportID=3505

I don't have Advanced Mode yet, I'm gonna order the upgrade code and give that a try. One thing I noticed while running the software. As soon as I opened the software the red cast appeared, I restored the default profile to get rid of it and ran the calibration. During the measuring process I noticed the red cast appear again.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm... considering the Pantone Huey Pro is $88 brand new at Amazon, and the upgrade code for i1LT is $99. Which one is my better option?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18237725

Hmm... considering the Pantone Huey Pro is $88 brand new at Amazon, and the upgrade code for i1LT is $99. Which one is my better option?

Can anyone chime in on this? What would you guys do for $100 if you were in my shoes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts