AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the most out of my new Panasonic 47" 16:9(PT47WX51) and I am currently experimenting with black level. My DVD player (Pioneer Elite DV-05) has a blacker-than-black setting labeled "darker." I am assuming that the normal/standard setting on my player is 7.5 IRE and that darker is 0 IRE.

To get closer to the director/cinematographer's intention which level should I calibrate at. I have calibrated at both levels and they both look ok. The only changes I have to make are with the brightness/contrast interaction.

What do you fellow RPTV owners recommend?

Chris K.
[email protected]
www.kimmelshue.com

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
In theory no DVD contents, other than pluge signals which are specifically designed to do so, will contain any blacker than black content. But there was another recent thread on this that went through it ad nauseum, so you should probably search back and find that one, since it had some pretty authoritativestuff and a lot of other questions. It was probably a month ago or so.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Basically, you're talking about a range of either 7.5 to 100 IRE, or 0 to 100 IRE. Which sounds better to you?!

Conventional wizdom is to calibrate all component inputs at 0 IRE black level and all composite and S-Video inputs at 7.5 IRE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.