AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sound and Vision calibration disc has both Dolby Digital And DTS test tones. Does it matter which one I use to set speaker levels? Will there be much difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18232199

My Sound and Vision calibration disc has both Dolby Digital And DTS test tones. Does it matter which one I use to set speaker levels? Will there be much difference? Thanks.

What AVR do you have? Does it not have internal test tones for calibration or an auto setup?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has both, but I like to check the results afterward. And I normally boost my center channel a little.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I would trust the AVR test tones/auto calibration (you didn't answer my questions as to what AVR you have) over the S&V disc. Don't forget, DD uses dial norm and DTS doesn't. This can result in a 3-4 dB difference in levels between the two systems.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I would think that after a internal auto setup, you would find the levels to be matched fairly nicely, and supported by playing any test disc. It would show matched levels regardless of dB output of the various discs. I also tweak my center channel a bit after using Audyssey, for personal preferences.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Interesting- i have mostly read that Calibration disc were better for calibration/SPL than internal AVR pink noise. The AIX samplers, is a PITA to use but pretty effective {& i still think there is an error in there too-but i could be wrong too}. Are you calibrating using HDMI or analogue...........

db

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Sony STR-DG920 and the test tones set my subwoofer higher than my AVIA II test disc. So I have been using the AVIA II settings over the auto setup. Any reason the AVR tones set the sub so high??

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18233483

I would trust the AVR test tones/auto calibration (you didn't answer my questions as to what AVR you have) over the S&V disc. Don't forget, DD uses dial norm and DTS doesn't. This can result in a 3-4 dB difference in levels between the two systems.

I have the Insignia NS-R5101HD receiver. The Room EQ set my fronts to large, so I changed that to small. I am using HDMI. The reason I asked my original question was: Do different sound formats have different decibel level outputs? (Dolby Digital, DTS, and the new HD formats). And I was wondering why the cal. disc had DD and DTS on it. I want to know what to use so it sounds good with all formats. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18236993

I want to know what to use so it sounds good with all formats. Thanks.

Use the internal AVR test tones for the reasons I stated.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18236993

I have the Insignia NS-R5101HD receiver. The Room EQ set my fronts to large, so I changed that to small. I am using HDMI. The reason I asked my original question was: Do different sound formats have different decibel level outputs? (Dolby Digital, DTS, and the new HD formats). And I was wondering why the cal. disc had DD and DTS on it. I want to know what to use so it sounds good with all formats. Thanks.

The cal discs have multiple coders because they want to cover all bases. Doesn't hurt. If each sound format is given the same test signals, they will play out the same level--they all maintain equal levels to every channel, be it lossy or lossless DTS or Dolby. Level cal discs ought to have dialnorm set to -31 to avoid any absolute level shifts.

The main reason you'll find differences between different discs and the internal tones is that they don't all use the same noise shaping, and any frequency response differences between speakers will then read a different loudness. Dolby's noise is different than THX's, and the test discs are sometimes different yet again. For example, not sure what AIX was thinking, but they recorded their noise 10 dB louder than the norm, so you would look for an 85 dB reading there, whereas everyone else shoots for 75 dB. On top of that, their noise has a lot more high frequency range. Not sure why.

And when it comes to LFE noise, multiply the variables x10.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
"For example, nor sure what AIX was thinking, but they recorded their noise 10 dB louder than the norm, so you would look for an 85 dB reading there, whereas everyone else shoots for 75 dB. On top of that, their noise has a lot more high frequency range. Not sure why."

Maybe this is what I was hearing/felt/experiencing-- and had to make a few dB changes to get the sound right. I'll go back and recalibrate using the 85dB setting to see if this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts