AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV is in the living room. It was not practical to optimally place the speakers. I plan to correct for this non-optimal speaker placement using the receiver's (HT-S790) Advance Setup feature. Should I try to do this manually (as suggested in the manual) or through PC software? Do I place a microphone where I normally sit and then have my computer generate test signals? I just bought a soundcard that outputs 5.1. Should I use Room EQ Wizard for this? I took a look at http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ and the program looks more advanced than necessary for us HTIB users. Is there any other software to help me set the individual speaker distance and volume calibration?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Begin with the receiver's tones and mic. That might do it for you in terms of getting equal loudness from all speakers.

If you want to fine tune the sound level the Radio Shack SPL meter is good.

If you want to go on from there to identify unevenness in frequency response, that you might try to correct with an equalizer or room treatments REQ is a great tool.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The goal in setup is equal sound pressure from all speakers using the test tone.

In operation your reciever's Dolby processors send signals to the surrounds at the appropriate loudness in relation to the mains and center.

The main volume control then increases or decreases the level for all channels by the same amount; interchannel differences are preserved.

The distance settings, if used, actually set the amount of delay that is applied so that sounds arrive at your ear in the correct order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.