AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play mostly cod4 online and as anyone who has played fps games online knows, hearing where the enemy is is key (especially footsteps). I've read most of the gaming headsets thread, but do not want to buy expensive headphones right now. I am a bit of a idiot so please bear with me. i have heard that keeping the sub woofer to a minimum is a big help, which makes sense as it can cover up subtle noises. On the receiver, what should i do for +/- treble/bass ? Will anything help with hearing people. Obviously cranking the volume helps but i wouldnt mind a better calibrated speaker set up. In case it matters, i have a sr5001 Marantz receiver and Klipsch speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i have a Klipsch Synergy III F-3,C-3,S-3,SUB-12,Denon AVR-683, . pro calibrated along with the TV. not calibrated specifically for gaming. i have no probelm detecting footsteps from left or right, behind or beside me in games. i could tell you what my +/- db settings are but i dont think it would help much. its too dependant on your room, your place in relation to speakers, speaker layout and distance, speaker tember match etc.

to do it correctly you should spend a few $ on an SPL meter from radio shack. but if youre not that serious just play around with the +/- db

if youre having a problem detecting footsteps you could +db on the rear surrounds first then maybe play around with +db on the l & r fronts. raising the volume of those speakers individually

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Like the above poster said, get an SPL meter from Rat Shack and calibrate all speakers and sub evenly at the listening position. When using test tones on your receiver, calibrate all at 75dB. If using AVIA, calibrate at 85dB, since the tones on AVIA were encoded 10dB lower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.