AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post respected Video Systems Reviewer Peter Putman wrote.

"I have had the PDS-5002 in-house for nearly a month now. I am preparing a mini-review of it vs. the Panasonic 50" and Pioneer 50" panels. I hope it will be posted on my web site ( www.projectorexpert.com ) early next week (11/26). A more detailed review will be in the next issue of The Perfect Vision.

The PDS-5002 can be calibrated to track a CRT quite nicely, varying by no more than 300 degrees at the top and bottom of the grayscale. A color analyzer that has learned the phosphor values for red, green, and blue from the Panasonic 50" panel will be needed.

As I said in an earlier post, since Fujitsu only provides access to drive and not bias, setting the correct color balnce at 40% or so gray with drive seems to work best, provided the contrast is also set correctly with a PLUGE pattern, ANSI pattern, and grayscale ramps.

I have had several people (knowledgable and otherwise) do a visual comparison of HDTV, SDTV, DVDs, and even cable TV sources with a reference CRT monitor and they agree there is little difference in color quality.

I have also tested the Faroudja 1280x720 Native Rate Scalar with this panel, and do not think it is needed. The Fujitsu AVM circuit works very well as is with de-interlacing, motion compensation, and re-sizing. Again, this has been corroborated with several impartial viewers, knowledgable and novice.

I guess it would be somewhat of an endorsement for me to say that I wouldn't mind having one for my own use at home, as opposed to a CRT-based direct-view display.

Pete Putman "

Let's eveluate what the different analyzer options are for the 5002's Calibration....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.