AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I got my copy of disney's world of wonder calibration blu ray. Since it was already late, I only had time to glance through the basic video calibration, and I plan to perform a full calibration later today. However, I noticed something when adjusting the white level. On the screen, you get a display with three bars on the left, a big white square on the right, and another three bars on the right. The instructions say that you should increase your white level until the center square becomes a white resembling clouds or a new white shirt, and until you only see the first bar on the right, and the last 2 become the same level of white. My problem is that I turned the white level all the way up (I think it's the contrast control right? I can't remember right now but I'm sure I didn't get that wrong since both the menu and the booklet explain it clearly), but I can still clearly see the 3 bars on the right. Do you think this can be corrected once I perform the advance calibration setup? Also, when adjusting sharpness, all the edges from the calibration template seemed really defined with sharpness all the way down to zero, and I saw almost no difference when I turned it back up. Could this be because of the high resolution? Because I don't think that zero is an appropiate setting. Any help will be appreciated, I'm sorry if these seem like a silly questions, but I saved money for a long time so that I could buy and lcd tv and a blu ray player, so I'm trying to get the most of them. Thank you very much.

P.S. My TV is a Philips 40PFL5505D/F7, in case you needed to know.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Zero is often the right setting for Sharpness. Though on some displays you want it in the mid-point or some other non-zero setting to prevent softening the image -- that's SOME TVs only, not all. And some other TVs have engineers who have completely disabled any change in images when you move the Sharpness control up and down the scale -- so you can move Sharpness from 100 to 0 and not see any difference in the Sharpness test pattern. The Sharpness control, if it does anything, will create white lines along the edges of the black lines in the Sharpness test pattern -- it could be only on vertical lines or it could be on both vertical and horizontal lines. As you reduce the Sharpness control (if the Sharpness control does anything at all), those artificial white edges should disappear. The right setting is when there are no white edges added and when the image is not softened by lowering Sharpness too far (note that only SOME TVs will soften the image as you reduce Sharpness below the best setting - hard to estimate how many... maybe 10% or so have a Sharpness control that will soften images.

None of the discs describe the entire white level issue adequately. Most discs tell you how to find the highest possible Contrast setting... not the RIGHT Contrast setting which may or may not be the highest possible setting. You can't know what your right white level is by eye. Your eye is EASILY fooled by off-color white so using a test/setup disc to set white level is almost impossible/worthless. A meter can tell you if you are getting 35 fL (foot Lamberts - a value that's about right for a dark room) or 55 fL (too bright for a dark room, but probably good if there's a fair bit of light in the room. When measuring white level, a small blue tint in one of the test disc "patches" will make the other patches look yellow... so it's almost impossible to use a test/setup disc to REALLY know if your Contrast setting is reasonably good. A meter removes the guess-work -- but it needs to be a GOOD meter and not something so inexpensive it doesn't do a very good job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.