AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 4th X360 just this Thursday and noticed that my color settings which I had from my previous system didn't quite matchup well with my new arrival. This system tends to display visuals a tad brighter and cleaner much like a PC would. So I'm beginning to wonder as to how would I go about calibrating my display for gameplay? Are you fellas using the console's DVD player or is everyone calibrating their display by other means? If so please share, I'm trying to get a right balance here but no avail.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I haven't really done a calibration specific to my 360 input yet. I did notice the particular characteristics of the PQ as you describe.

I've got the DVE HD-DVD on pre-order from Amazon. I figure I'll tweak it a bit once I have that in my hot little hands.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can't use a standard DVD to calibrate the display for games sent in HD, but obviously it will work great for DVDs. They just aren't the same (DVD being 480i, games being 720p or 1080i, and the differences in the signals are much more than just resolution). Generally it seems you need a much lower brightness setting for DVDs than for HD stuff, for starters. Of course, if you're playing games at 480p, then the calibration should carry over from DVD.

Some of the EA Sports games have very good calibration test patterns, the best and most complete I've seen in any game, though a few others do have some sort of pattenr to set your contrast/brightness settings. NHL07 is the one that I have (I think NBA Live has these patterns as well, but neither of the football games do), and it includes a nice brightness test pattern, complete with gradation scales and a blacker-than-black drop-shadow thing, as well as standard SMPTE color bars so you can adjust your color and tint if you have the filters from DVE.

It is also possible that you can stream HD test patterns from your PC through the 360's video player, although I'm not convinced that this will exactly match what the games' test patterns give you. It seems to me I have to adjust my black level between HD video and games (though it's only a couple points, and I don't yet have an ideal HD test pattern to stream). I'm not convinced that all games adhere to any standard calibration, either, but you'd have to think the games that include a test pattern or two have been made with that calibration.

Once I get the HD-DVD drive, I will really want the HD-DVD version of DVE, but I'm not even sure if that's been released yet.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk about raining on my parade, I was ready to download NBA Live 07 and it appears that it's no longer available at the marketplace. I'm having a few internet issues (T3 Timeouts) at the moment so someone mind telling me which demo has the calibration tools so I can swap hard drives with a friend. Apologies for burdening fellow members.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I was near to banging my head on the wall trying to figure out where the video settings were listed in both March Madness 07 & NHL 07 both EA titles. I'll grab NBA Live 06 and see what's there.

On an added note I've sent an e-mail to Xbox Live's Major Nelson concerning the matter and hopefully he'll pass that e-mail on to the higher-ups over at Microsoft. I was lucky enough to get a reply from him in the past and hopefully he'll do so again. If anything turns up I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the heads up, I was near to banging my head on the wall trying to figure out where the video settings were listed in both March Madness 07 & NHL 07 both EA titles.

It's pretty easy to find in NHL07. Look under 'My NHL07' and then 'Settings' and then 'video calibration.'

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already deleted NHL & March Madness 07 from my HD but most of the options were greyed out and not available on the demo. Perhaps it was a bit too early in the morning for me but I couldn't find it. Live 06 demo does have it on there and my color settings are much improved and black levels are pretty good but just need a bit of tweaking. It's kinda difficult to properly adjust contrast and brightness settings on a DLP.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo /forum/post/0

You can't use a standard DVD to calibrate the display for games sent in HD, but obviously it will work great for DVDs. They just aren't the same (DVD being 480i, games being 720p or 1080i, and the differences in the signals are much more than just resolution). Generally it seems you need a much lower brightness setting for DVDs than for HD stuff, for starters. Of course, if you're playing games at 480p, then the calibration should carry over from DVD.

Some of the EA Sports games have very good calibration test patterns, the best and most complete I've seen in any game, though a few others do have some sort of pattenr to set your contrast/brightness settings. NHL07 is the one that I have (I think NBA Live has these patterns as well, but neither of the football games do), and it includes a nice brightness test pattern, complete with gradation scales and a blacker-than-black drop-shadow thing, as well as standard SMPTE color bars so you can adjust your color and tint if you have the filters from DVE.

It is also possible that you can stream HD test patterns from your PC through the 360's video player, although I'm not convinced that this will exactly match what the games' test patterns give you. It seems to me I have to adjust my black level between HD video and games (though it's only a couple points, and I don't yet have an ideal HD test pattern to stream). I'm not convinced that all games adhere to any standard calibration, either, but you'd have to think the games that include a test pattern or two have been made with that calibration.

Once I get the HD-DVD drive, I will really want the HD-DVD version of DVE, but I'm not even sure if that's been released yet.

This all obviously makes sense, but just one question. Does this all still apply if you're using the VGA output? I only wonder as you're obviously outputting everything at the same resolution. Is it still applicable because the source is a different res?

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.