AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your recommendation for a calibration disc for the RCA F38310?

AVIA?

Video Essentials??

other???

also, I have HT, with 5.1

i tried doing the set up with the Monsters, Inc. DVD, but it was difficult because the menu covers most of the picture!

what do you guys recommend i get? and how to easily handle the tv menu when calibrating??

thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one who has this set (or anyone else) has any recommendations?

i've searched but i'm looking for additional comments= especially if an RCA user has used one of these set up disks...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Avia works just fine. You will have to enter the menu, make small adjustment, exit menu, check results. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sorny

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorny= thanks for the info-- does it matter with a widescreen? are there different tests for that display- or it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
eddieras

I didn't answer initially because I have a Sony widescreen but AVIA worked fine for me. For adjusting the big 5 (as AVIA calls it)

1. contrast/picture/whites

2. brightness/blacks

3. sharpness

4. color

5. tint/hue

it doesn't matter 4:3 vs widescreen. When you get into the service menu on the Sony, sometimes there are different settings for "full, wide zoom, normal, and zoom". So in the user's menu, the answer is 'nope' doesn't matter widescreen vs. 4:3 but in the service menu, the answer is 'maybe' because if you adjust for one mode, it may not adjust for other modes.

AVIA has 5.1 adjustments AND has test patterns for geometry and color decoder (e.g. red push). Sound & Vision has 6.1 & 7.1 but no geometry or color decoder to do service menu tweaks. I don't know about VE other than what I read on the forum. Many like it but others prefer AVIA. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks rick for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.