AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If you have a DVD burner and Nero 7, try downloading this zip file, unzip, and then burn the ISO image onto a DVD/R.

It's a BDMV on a DVD/R that is created with the test streams from www.w6rz.net . I created the ISO after pencilgeek provided me with the idea that you shouldn't need BD to play small HD clips on the PS3.

ISO of TEST pattern BDMV (69MB)

As far as I know, it plays on PS3 and panasonic and any device capable of playing AVCHD.

I don't know if it will work for everyone. It may require that your PC understands UDF 2.5.

Note also that because it is so small (200MB or so unzipped), Nero assumes this is for a CD/R, and will complain about wrong media. You MUST force it to burn to a DVD. I am using Nero Ultra 7 to burn this, not Nero express.

As long as your burning software can understand ISO, it should work.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks, PencilGeek. I burned the ISO using Nero 6 and it worked perfectly. I compared the results from these patterns to the Sony patterns and the Brightness setting is different between the two. Both AVIA and w6rz test patterns peg my brightness at 50 while the Sony test patterns peg it at 43.

The only difference is that AVIA is being output at 480p, w6rz at 1080i and the Sony patterns at 1080p.

Well, I did some more testing and it seems the brightness setting for 1080p is different from all the other resolutions. With all three patterns, AVIA, w6rz, and Sony, the brightness setting is 50. Since the only pattern that can be output at 1080p is the Sony pattern, it puts my brightness at 43. With the same Sony pattern at 1080i, it is at 50.

I wonder if it is my display or PS3 causing the discrepancy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalry12 /forum/post/0

Thanks, PencilGeek. I burned the ISO using Nero 6 and it worked perfectly. I compared the results from these patterns to the Sony patterns and the Brightness setting is different between the two. Both AVIA and w6rz test patterns peg my brightness at 50 while the Sony test patterns peg it at 43.

The only difference is that AVIA is being output at 480p, w6rz at 1080i and the Sony patterns at 1080p.

Well, I did some more testing and it seems the brightness setting for 1080p is different from all the other resolutions. With all three patterns, AVIA, w6rz, and Sony, the brightness setting is 50. Since the only pattern that can be output at 1080p is the Sony pattern, it puts my brightness at 43. With the same Sony pattern at 1080i, it is at 50.

so with the PS3 which is better to use?

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalry12 /forum/post/0

Really hard to say. I completely verified the Grayscale test pattern accuracy on the PS3->Lumagen video processor. The Lumangen can tell me what the IRE level is of the center of the screen. When playing the DVD on the PS3, the Lumagen reports exactly what the test pattern should be...50, 60, 70 IRE, etc.

It's entirely possible that your TV uses a different set of settings for each input type.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRock /forum/post/0

oh ok, I dont have a blu-ray burner. So if they files arent big, I'll use a thumb drive to transfer them.

OK, here's a link to all of the test patterns converted to MP4. Transfer these patterns to your PS3 and they should play just fine. I've verified a few of them for accuracy.

http://www.rcollins.org/ftp/Calibration/mp4.zip

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've uploaded a set of Calibration test patterns suitable for running on the PS3. These test patterns were downloaded from www.w6rz.net and then converted to MP4 files, compatible with the PS3.

Copy these files to a thumbnail drive, and then onto your PS3. Play them as video files, and have fun.

http://www.rcollins.org/ftp/Calibration/mp4.zip

If you're looking for a Blu-Ray disc with these patterns, and have the abilities to burn Blu-Ray, then see this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790449

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek /forum/post/0

Really hard to say. I completely verified the Grayscale test pattern accuracy on the PS3->Lumagen video processor. The Lumangen can tell me what the IRE level is of the center of the screen. When playing the DVD on the PS3, the Lumagen reports exactly what the test pattern should be...50, 60, 70 IRE, etc.

It's entirely possible that your TV uses a different set of settings for each input type.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with the test patterns since both AVIA and Sony patterns agree with w6rz patterns at 480p and 1080i. The only discrepancy is that at 1080p, the brightness setting is different, at least on my set which is the Westinghouse lvm-42w2 1080p lcd display.

I also own HD-A1 and have run the w6rz patterns for hd dvd with great success.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.