AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question, whats a good DVD/BD disk to help dial in your tv? I remember seeing a lot of people recomend avia. I was gonna check it out from netflix, but its kinda old, AVIA II is from 2007 but i guess you need 3d glasses to use it or something.

is it still worth checking out? any other sugestions?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that may be the way to go that looks fairly recent. what would you recomend for DVD? i would like to calibrate the input i have some older stuff running through as well

also, in the meantime i heard that some bluerays or dvds have THX calibration programs on them. Is there a list of whats out there? i found one suposedly by THX but the movies dont match up. I.e. it claimed pirates of the caribine the curse of the black pearl has one on BD; but i happened to have that movie and it does not. I seem to remember some older disney movies even having this

·
Banned
783 Posts
Not 100% certain as I am not an animation buff, but I believe most if not all the Pixar movies have that on them.

For DVD I used the Avia disc but I have read they supposedly are not that accurate. Still, I liked the results on my "pre-banding" Sharp LCD.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i simply cant find any dvds or bds with calibration disks on them. i checked some lists on line but when i look at the disk itself i find nothing. I rented Avia II and was unimpressed with it. Theres no description for most of them and you cant even pause the advanced pattern. I have DVE coming monday probably and will check that out and diced which to buy.. its definatly not gonna be avia II..

does the DVE BD also come with a dvd as well? i wont be able to calibrate my DVD input and 360 without a regular dvd disk =( i dont want to buy both versions

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader /forum/post/17088398

I have really liked this one . Just get some blue filter glasses from THX.

tnx..i should be clear what i really need is some kind of grey scale or something filter. After i did an update on my sony KDS 60a300, ive noticed a slight greenish tint when watching movies. Usually on skin tones or dark or washed out scenes. Some people sugested it might be something with the greyscale so im looking for something i can use to mess with the high and low white balance settings.

which one am i really looking at? is it like the 6th one down on this page

http://www.calibrate.tv/patterns/patterns.html

or the maxium white/maximum black ones? i guess i just really am not sure what the greyscale pattern is or how to calibrate with it =P Is that what im looking for? I'll give those a shot after DVE comes in, i may actually find their equivalent on it, im just not really clear on what test it is i really need or how to use it, can anyone clarify?

tnx

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
kenshin-dono -- The 6th pattern, on that page, is the one used to check that you have set the gray scale correctly (after you have done the calibration). Test pattern #2 is the one used to set the Brightness (Black level) and pattern #3 is the one used to set the Contrast (White level). You need to buy the software, to use those, as they are dynamic patterns and can't be used from the static pictures.

You need to download the "instructions" ( http://www.calibrate.tv/docs/GetGrayCalDiscReadme.zip ) and read them to understand hou to use the disc (which you burn yourself). BTW, I wrote those instructions.

NOTE: It doesn't matter how "recent" the issue of the calibration disc is. NTSC standards haven changed, so for SD DVDs, any version of a calibration DVD is the same as any other. When the high definition (ASTC) specifications were released, the only changes were to the color rendition (the gray scale did not change). The color matrix for SD is Rec. 601 and the color matrix for HD is Rec. 709.

I agree that the GetGray disc is the best calibration disc. However, it doesn't have any audio calibration tests like AVIA or DVE (the SD versions) do. If you already have any of those, they can be used to calibrate any TV set for SD-DVD playback.

The best (lowest cost = free) Blu-Ray calibration disc is the AVS HD 709 one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 . All of the details are in the first post. He also has an HD-DVD version, but it has not been updated since Blu-Ray is now the only surviving format. The DVE HD basics is in second place.

For more details please go to the Calibration forum. That is the correct location for general calibration discussions.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono /forum/post/17088226

does the DVE BD also come with a dvd as well? i wont be able to calibrate my DVD input and 360 without a regular dvd disk =( i dont want to buy both versions

Um, calibrate using the bluray and then set your other inputs to the exact same settings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts