AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit older plasma, Pioneer PDP505CMX if i recall correctly. Anyway, I would like to calibrate my plasma. Can you all suggest if DVD calibration will even work on my monitor? Any suggestions on a particular disc to buy? I do not have a blu-ray player. I do have a pioneer sc-37 avr.

Any assistance would be appreciated as i do not want to pay a fortune to have someone come do this as nothing in Singapore comes with a realistic price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I suppose I need to at least figure out the best method for adjusting my contract, brightness, red, green blue, etc on my monitor... but what about the similar settings on my SC-37?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I finally live somewhere with decent programming and hope to at least be seeing the truest picture I can get.

"end bump"

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon
The DVD will help you set the basics for an accurate picture, but if by "red green blue" you mean grayscale then no; you would need to buy a meter and get the proper software to do that.
Do they make these dvds in SD format also?

·
Banned
783 Posts
I believe DVE (digital video essentials) is still offered as a dvd; most have moved on to blu-ray like the Spears and Munsil disc:

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

DVE is not the most user friendly product in the world, but you can learn a lot from it if you take your time.

Whichever one you get, be sure to purchase and not rent as you need the blue filter that comes with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have the DVE SD version and it worked great on my older LG plasma. I purchased a Sammy 530 last year and after break in period I used the cal dvd and the changes were very small. The Sammy was near spot on to the cal dvd out of the box. Very surprising and pleasing. I think I use "movie" mode but am not sure...will check it and update in a bit.

It won't hurt to try...

I too found the DVE cal dvd cumbersome and a bit difficult to use the first time. It took much longer to calibrate because of this but once I understood how to use the system it was quite nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered Digital Video Essentials HD (DVE) for the Panasonic S2 I just got. From my experience these seem to be really popular. You should be able to find some sealed SD ones on eBay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.