AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy one today from Virgin in NYC (don't want to order online). They are only selling those two. No Avia.

I'm a noob, so maybe DVE is too difficult for me.

Any advice?

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
If you've never used a calibration disc before, the S&V disc is more geared towards beginners. DVE is terribly frustrating to use.

They're both good. There's nothing wrong with the test patterns on either. DVE has more extensive patterns for those that require in-depth tweaking of their equipment, but S&V has all the basics you'll need for a general calibration. For ~$20, you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Speaking of DVE what is the deal with the menus?!? I mean how hard is it to organize the chapters and test patterns into an easy to use menu. Someday I'd like to sit down and design my own menu for the things I use the most often.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M
Speaking of DVE what is the deal with the menus?!? I mean how hard is it to organize the chapters and test patterns into an easy to use menu.
If you think Digital Video Essentials is bad, you should try the original Video Essentials DVD. It was impossible to navigate.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
If you know how to use your DVD player's remote control to access Title and Chapter locations, neither disc is frustrating.

union1411, if you promise to lay off of the drugs :rolleyes:, I'll give you a list of the patterns you need to use for calibration and where they are located on the DVE disc.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
DVE is terribly frustrating. But so is AVia. Not as bad as DVE, but bad enough. Both give some DVD players fits.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
well you can't get more perfect than pixel perfect, the patterns on DVE are pixel perfect, there's no noise, no deviation in levels even with adjacent pixels, like they were generated and captured digitally.

Avia Pro has more test patterns for sure, and they are probably just as accurate as DVE. The old avia guide to home theater and the THX optimode found on THX DVD's are not digitally accurate, in that they have a minute amount of noise present in the patterns and adjacent pixels can vary slightly in level, for example a full screen test pattern thats IRE 100, every pixel is a perfect digital value of 235 on digital video essensials. Plus, DVE is available in PAL, wheras Avia is NTSC only and assumes a black level 16 of 7.5IRE, wheras I use a black level 16 of 0IRE for both NTSC and PAL.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
cybersoga,

I did not notice you were a PAL user. Have you looked at the Peter Finzel disk for PAL. It looks like a winner. It might offer more PAL specific tests than DVE.

http://www.peterfinzel.de/pftd.htm

Digital accuracy is not the only goal in video reproduction. But, if you want to make it your litmus test so be it. It is my understanding that DVE patterns were all authored in 1080p and scaled to 480p. Avia PRO was specifically made for 480i/p.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yep I have that one too, it has some great 2:2 film flags and interlace flags tests! I'd get Avia Pro if it wasn't so expensive - i mean i'm sure it's worth it but I just can't justify it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'd go for DVE. Peter Finzel's tests don't go above white or below black, so I wouldn't use it for setting up brightness/contrast/levels, although it does have some very useful PAL only tests and the overscan/aspect ratio test has markers for the active area of the picture (704x576).

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
yes, PAL DVE has patterns that are 1 pixel wide alternating black and white just like peter finzel, here is the middle portion of a screen shot of one of the resolution test patterns from pal dve (i've cropped the sides to allow picture upload, it's also converted to pc levels so any below black/above white will be cropped). There are full screen horizontal and vertical sweep and burst patterns too. They don't look like they have been downscaled from 1080p.

Both PAL and NTSC have 720 pixels horizontally so they have the same horizontal frequency limits (6.75mhz), but vertically it's different, PAL with it's 576 lines having a higher limit than NTSC with it's 480 lines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.