AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still counting down the days until the 22nd when I get a Toshiba 62HM116 (62HM196). I've read that some units are fine right out of the box, but others need calibration. I've also read about DVDs that can help in this regard. Is there a specific DVD someone can recommend for the unit I'm purchasing? Where would be the best place to purchase?

Unfortunately, I'm in the category of buyer that knows enough to dangerous! Reading the forums have been a great help, but let me know how much I don't know. So any help or suggestions to get the best performance when I set it up would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Most will tell you that either AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Esssentials) will work. Both can get pretty deep in terms of settings. Can find 'em both @ Amazon.

Although not nearly as detailed, any DVD with a THX Optimizer option (STAR WARS/INDIANA JONES are a few examples) will get you a bare-bones version of a calibration disc. Basic contrast, brightness, tint, color, sharpness, DVD player aspect ratio setup and geometry/convergence (for CRT sets) as well as audio tests. AVIA/DVE do these things, too. They are just far more detailed.

Some will say that the THX Optimizers are only useful for the movie they're included with, but I've seen no difference in them from one DVD title to another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I definitely recommend AVIA over DVE - and I own both. I bought DVE because it was the newer of the two and supposedly better for micro-displays and other newer technologies, however, the menu/navigation of DVE is horrible.

I never use DVE and always use AVIA. AVIA spends a fair amount of time discussing issues inherent to CRT displays, but you can just ignore most of that as the basic calibration steps are still valid for newer technologies. I find it quite easy to use, especially after you've done it a couple of times, and consider using a calibration disc like this essential if you own a decent HDTV.

Another good starting point would be to search the forums to see if anyone has listed specific values and settings for your particular set. You could duplicate those and see what you think versus how it came out of the box.

·
Registered
JBL Original S-Series S26 x6, S-Center, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Speakers & SVS 25-31 PCi Sub
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenj /forum/post/0

Isn't there a new HD DVD version of DVE available? Or no?

Yes, it is available for pre-order @ Amazon.com . It is a HD DVD/Standard DVD Combo Disc! Can't wait for mine to ship!!!
(Note: join Amazon Prime to get 10%-off for each HD-DVD for a year and FREE 2-day SH)

I also have AVIA and after viewing those non-anamorphic Setup Screens, I quit using it after I bought my 1080p DLP & 720p LCD HDTV's.

All test & setup screens in DVE is anamorphic and I keep my 62HM196 aspect ratio = 1:1 pixels (NATURAL) when I'm viewing my 480 upconverted to 1080i SD DVD's. Menu selection is easy once you use the "Top Menu" option, you can get to the NTSC Video Test Screens in 5 to 6 clicks of the remote button!!!

With AVIA, I would use one of the zoom functions which is not desirable when viewing the resolution screens - so I quit using it!

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.