Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

I am a newbie to the high end home theater world. I looked at some high end TV's I thought the Samsung was the best bang for the buck. A friend of mine told me about this site AFTER I bought it. From reading some of the posts it seems there is a lot of tweaking for this set and a lot of conflicting posts.

1. Is there an easy way to calibrate this TV, an newbie instruction manual?

2. Is the warranty void just by looking to see the firmware version?

3. Do the cables manufacturer(monster, better cable, etc...) make a big enough difference to justify the cost? Recommendations would be nice.

4. Am I over my head or am I worrying too much?

Any and all of your vast knowledge and expertise will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

-Rich

·
Registered
845 Posts
At some point, the cables can make a difference, but there are many things you can do before that becomes an issue. There are things that you can do for yourself to get the picture looking better, but you will need an test disc. I would recommend DVE, since it is the newest. This will help you set the main controls like Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, and Sharpness. From there, many like to hire a professional calibrator to get the sets grayscale looking good. This means that we adjust the 3 main colors (red, green and blue) so that together they make a neutral white. If the 3 colors aren't set perfectly, then instead of white, it will be slightly colored more towards one of the 3 colors of light. This is to mimic what is done on pro monitors when they are transferring a movie, so that there is a standard that everyone can adhere to. Unfortunately, there is not one TV on the market that is accurate in this regard, and so there is a pretty good sized industry of professional calibrators like me. This is one of the main things that can't be done by a DIY'er, as it requires expensive equipment and training to get right. Depending on what model you get, there are many others on here that can help you ballpark it, so you can start educating yourself on what the different picture adjustments do. Once you are jaded enough to know that things just aren't quite right, then that's when you may want to really have it done right. Welcome to rest of your spare time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zman3
To all,

I am a newbie to the high end home theater world. I looked at some high end TV's I thought the Samsung was the best bang for the buck. A friend of mine told me about this site AFTER I bought it. From reading some of the posts it seems there is a lot of tweaking for this set and a lot of conflicting posts.

1. Is there an easy way to calibrate this TV, an newbie instruction manual?

2. Is the warranty void just by looking to see the firmware version?

3. Do the cables manufacturer(monster, better cable, etc...) make a big enough difference to justify the cost? Recommendations would be nice.

4. Am I over my head or am I worrying too much?

Any and all of your vast knowledge and expertise will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

-Rich
1. Yes just leave it alone if the picture quality looks great to you. Just adjust settings in the standard menu--contrast, brightness etc. Possibly with a disk like Avia or Digital Video Essentials.

2. Some say yes some say no. If YOU screw the service menu settings up really bad then i've heard that Samsung is of no help to get you back to factory settings.

3. I personally use Monster Cables with the exception of my DVI cable which I got at pacific cable. I know they are overpriced but I like the look of them and I know they are good quality.

4. Again as I said in #1 you are going to have to be the judge of the picture quality. Everyone has different tastes about what looks good to them. Some people like sets that have been calibrated and some people are happy right out of the box. I think mine came out of the box with an excellent picture through Component and DVI sources. S-video and Antenna are ok but once you have been spoiled with High Def signals then its hard to watch Standard tv. I have done some tweeking but have not found what I like yet.

Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would utilize Avia orDVE (I like Avia)..They even make a newbie help DVD that costs only $18.00 which is cheaper then the $50.00 full version.

You can get alot if info here b/c the people here know so darn much. I will give you a link to another place for info on your TV and tweaking so you can get even more info. As for service menu I have only gone in myself to play with convergence on my Sony KP-51WS510 but only because it allows for far more control of the tuning. I will not touch settings I do not understand and so that means I do not play with most of them :)

As I am still sort of new to this I can say this much. There is alot, and I mean alot to learn about and it will take a long time. I thought because I am a techie who can take apart and build computers with ease that this would also be easy to pick up but I was wrong. This is just as time consuming to learn at first but just as rewarding.

http://www.***************.com/htsth...t=&Board=UBB36

Have fun and welcome to your new addiction

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Rich

Welcome to the forum.

I think the best advice anyone could give you is to start reading a lot of the post in this and other AVS forums. You questions hit on at least 3 of them.

Post will bring up information that you would not know even to ask about.

The more you read, the more questions you're likely to ask, which have probably already been answered. So use the search function.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can use my spreadsheet to record your service menu defaults, and see som tweaks people have done

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I also been looking at the Channel Master satellite dish. Is it worth getting?

Thanks again,

-Rich

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_pro
You can use my spreadsheet to record your service menu defaults, and see som tweaks people have done
I'm pretty good with some of the the home theatre things, learned and set up my own surround sound system... familiar with hook ups and setups, but i'm new to the HLN617W and PRTV scene... i did my research and felt that i liked the HLN617W best, or best for me.... it was alot of money but that what the finacing is for.... So basically are these tweaks accessible from the onscreen menu... and does this void the warranty... and if you $crew it up is there a reset or restore Factory defualt???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.