AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I bought my Panasonic UT50 TV (a year ago) I foolishly went into the control panel and adjusted it to someones else's recommended calibration posted here.

I've never been satisfied with the skin-tones on my TV so I usually turn down the tint to get more pinkish tones instead of a golden jaundice looking orange.

However when I see a red car (or red light) it comes out kinda pink or orange..

It wasn't until last night when I connected my LCD laptop to my TV to watch a movie that I discovered the colors are quite different.

While the PC looked natural the TV still had that "golden look" making skin tones look a little sickly.

Then when a character came on wearing a blue dress shirt it came out as turquoise on my TV.

The only way I could get the shirt the proper blue on my TV was to turn the tint up all the way turning skin-tones green.

I also noticed a white car slightly orange where it remained white on the PC.

So...will a professional calibration fix my TV?

Can I do it myself as my funds are limited?

(If yes...what do I need?)

Cheers

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
When you say control panel, do you mean the Service Menu or the user accessible controls like contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, and aspect? If you went into the SM, you could be screwed. If you didn't, then you could just set your tv back to default settings and start over with a calibration disk and adjust your settings a bit better than doing it by eye, or hire a professional calibrator if you don't have the money and time to learn how to calibrate it yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1521794/calibration-for-dummies#post_24460984

When you say control panel, do you mean the Service Menu or the user accessible controls like contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, and aspect? If you went into the SM, you could be screwed. If you didn't, then you could just set your tv back to default settings and start over with a calibration disk and adjust your settings a bit better than doing it by eye, or hire a professional calibrator if you don't have the money and time to learn how to calibrate it yourself.

SM

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
No sense in making you feel worse than you probably already do. If you're still under warranty, maybe you could call support and tell them that your tv just doesn't look right (power surge or something like that happened, just don't tell them that you entered the SM) and they may be able to fix it. I don't like the idea of falsifying a service claim for something that you should not have done in the first place but these things are expensive, and bad advice abounds here at times, so maybe you can justify the call to yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, guys.

I "restored to defaults" a short while ago and to my amazement the PQ improved greatly...the haze I had earlier is gone.

The colors may still be inaccurate but I think I learned my lesson.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I stumbled upon this thread because if it's title, assuming that indeed there's a "Calibration for Dummies"-guide in here

I'm about to buy a 55inch Panasonic STW60, the ST60's European version on which the settings recommended for the ST60 in the Plasma section of AVS are assumed to not work properly. Thus, I am looking for exactly what the thread title is about, help how to do "Calibration for Dummies".

Is there any tutorial out there you can recommend?

What tools would I need?

Do you mind sharing how you do it?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1521794/calibration-for-dummies#post_24461133

No sense in making you feel worse than you probably already do. If you're still under warranty, maybe you could call support and tell them that your tv just doesn't look right (power surge or something like that happened, just don't tell them that you entered the SM) and they may be able to fix it. I don't like the idea of falsifying a service claim for something that you should not have done in the first place but these things are expensive, and bad advice abounds here at times, so maybe you can justify the call to yourself.
What is the line of demarcation between inexpensive enough to be honest versus expensive enough to be fraudulent? Some members of these types of forums appear to be more familiar than most with bad advice and justifying deception. Actually coaching someone publicly in writing on how to behave in such a way doesn't seem like a very good idea somehow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB  /t/1521794/calibration-for-dummies#post_24463372

What is the line of demarcation between inexpensive enough to be honest versus expensive enough to be fraudulent? Some members of these types of forums appear to be more familiar than most with bad advice and justifying deception. Actually coaching someone publicly in writing on how to behave in such a way doesn't seem like a very good idea somehow.[/quote

Sorry Otto,

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays  /t/1521794/calibration-for-dummies#post_24463051

I stumbled upon this thread because if it's title, assuming that indeed there's a "Calibration for Dummies"-guide in here

I'm about to buy a 55inch Panasonic STW60, the ST60's European version on which the settings recommended for the ST60 in the Plasma section of AVS are assumed to not work properly. Thus, I am looking for exactly what the thread title is about, help how to do "Calibration for Dummies".

What tools would I need?

I was hoping it would be explained here too.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays  /t/1521794/calibration-for-dummies#post_24463051

What tools would I need?

This site is the best overall resource I know of for your type of inquiry: http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/05/beginners-guide-to-the-articles/ .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts