AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have some decent calibration settings for this display? I am loving it so far with simply adjusting settings with the naked eye, but if someone out there has theirs calibrated I would appreciate it if you could share...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I'm going to cut a nd paste something that GeorgeAB said just yesterday in a thread just a few down from this one.

"Welcome to the AV Science Forum. You are in the wrong section of the forum if you want to copy someone else's display menu settings. Try the LCD display owners section that corresponds to your model. Copying settings is not calibration. All that gets you is a TV picture that might look a little like someone else's TV, which you have never seen. Then again, it might not look anything at all like theirs. How do you know your viewing environment conditions will be identical? Will you also insist that they used the same DVD player that had its picture options menu set the same as yours?

Michael is right about the tolerances used in consumer TVs and source components. He has calibrated thousands of TVs all over the US and Canada for many years. Because these electronic component tolerances are so imprecise, two samples of TV can come off the same assembly line and require different picture settings to look near the same.

I experienced this last year when I was called in as an image quality analysis consultant for one of the largest national cable TV companies. They were doing a research project, using three new Panasonic 50" plasmas of the same model, and set up in ideal viewing conditions. Their engineers had gone over the picture settings on each display and set the menu items all identically. Two of the plasmas looked nearly like each other, but the third one was obviously different in more ways than just one.

As Michael said, the more advanced test signals and display device adjustments require instruments and an understanding of how to use them. You will also need to understand more about digital video signals in general, digital display device characteristics and digital program source components."

Time to go to the plasma forum or the LCD forum for what you are looking for.

Regards

1 - 2 of 2 Posts