AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I was wondering if there was anyone out there who can help me. I recently bought the Home Theater setup DVD from Sound and Visison (Ovation Software) and am trying to calibrate my LCD TV. Problem is the TV is not reatcing to the test patters as the tutorial suggests it would. For instace the brightness / contrast pattern does not seem to bleed like it does in the tutorial. In my tests every box fades equally. Other tests will show some difference when set to extreme settings, like the sharpness turned almost to 100% or 20%.

I dont know what I should do. Id rather leave it as is then watch a horibly set up TV.

Heres the one thing I noticed. This DVD is old. The tutorial talks about Flat Panel Plasmas like they are "The Future" and doesnt even mention LCD. There is also no mention of adjusting the backlight, which im sure is the logical first step. Right now my backlight is set to 6, whatever that means.

Maybe its the backlight or maybe its the setup itself. Note my setup below.

JVC Dvd player plugged in (Via Component) to JCV 702b receiver which upconverts through HDMI into my SONY Bravia 40 inch TV.

Is this setup OK for calibration? All my components are set up this way. Some are HDMI to HDMI,

If anyone could help it would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

-Craig

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The test pattern in the DVD regarding bleeding or blooming only applies to older CRTs, either tube or rear projection. Unfortunately most calibration DVDs still have this reference. In fact it led me to set my contrast to 98 out of 100. I think the picture looks good but I've been told by multiple people that such a high contrast causes the colors to shift. And I've got no damn idea what I'm supposed to do about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

So if the contrast control doesnt help on flat panel LCDs, then does the brightness con tol help? I dont see any bars moving back and forth in the dark areas.

How do I calibrate these things then. I though grey level was the most important thing to set. Do I have to by the spyder or some other screen calibrator?

They shoudl really tell you befor eyou spend 25 on a calibraton dvd that it is for CRT or isnt updated.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The Spyder won't help to lower contrast - if that's really what needs to be done. It determined that I needed to set contrast to 98 out of 100. But I have to admit that I still don't completely agree with the experts (which I admit I'm not) that setting contrast to 98 caused my color to be off because I let Spyder adjust the color AFTER setting the contrast, so wouldn't that have fix the color if it was off? And, BTW, the color and tint it selected matched the color and ting that I got from DVE. So as far as I can tell, my color is perfect.

I think my next step is to use HFCR and maybe GetGrey to get a CIE chart. That will tell me if my colors are off. If you haven't heard of them, do a quick search. I learned a ton from using the HFCR software (it's free!) and reading the forums.

Here's a link to the HFCR thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=737550

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Craig, I use that same S&V disc. I can't use it to set contrast on my DLP projector either, but I do use it for brightness. I use THX Optimizer to set contrast on my projector. Brightness comes out the same using the S&V disc and THX Optimizer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.