AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Panasonic AE4000 projector. I have done basic calibrarions using the Spears and Munsil that came with my Oppo BluRay. Most all of the settings need zero changes out of the box according to S&M, maybe brightness +1.

Last night I put in UP Blu-Ray and looking through the menu I see a setting for calibrating HT. There is a test pattern for both brightness and contrast. The left side is black where you adjust the brightness until half of the flasing black lines dissapear. The other side of the screen is white and is the same process for contrast. When calibrating by these images, my Brightness gets pushed to +4 and contrast to +8. I then decided to throw S&M back in and this is way off according to them.

Anyone else tried these HD calibrations from Pixar?

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The instructions for contrast on the Pixar disc are wrong. They tell you to clip all the above white boxes ...

The contrast setting in the oppo itself may be wrong. usually a setting of -2 internally for contrast is better. Double check this with the contrast pattern from S&M ... and you will know for sure.

regards

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The purpose of touching the oppo controls is that you want to make sure the player actually outputs 100% of the signal ... not 96% of the signal all the time.

A TV that only receives 96% of the signal cannot magically recreate the missing 4% it never received. All the TV knows is that what you give is always 100%.

Regards

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It has on a whole lot of the units that I have seen.

regards

· Premium Member
10,889 Posts
It certainly hasn't come up on the -83 list but I'd encourage anyone with a defective unit to return it for repair. Oppo is quite good about things like that.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You may as well add anyone with a Pioneer or Panasonic player to your list too. They all behave the same way with their default settings.

Regards

· Registered
20,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/18122112

The -83 doesn't clip at the default settings. Negative contrast compresses luminance.

This is 100% correct. Niether does Pioneer or Panasonic.

· Registered
980 Posts

Quote:
This is 100% correct. Niether does Pioneer or Panasonic.

actually you are about 95% wrong. Most BD players clip white in their default settings.

On a related note...the last Oppo player that I worked with did not clip white out of the box.

· Registered
980 Posts
As do all the LG players...in the 390 you can correct it...in the 370 you can not.

· Registered
690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/18125452

On a related note...the last Oppo player that I worked with did not clip white out of the box.

I recently bought an Oppo BDP-83 and have it distributed to 4 Samsung HDTVs and I can report that it does not clip above white with it's default picture settings on any of the displays. I believe I'm running the Sept. firmware and not the latest.

As for what disc to calibrate with, stick with the Spears and Munsil disc or use the freely available AVS HD disc. I've used both and find them both to be excellent discs.

cheers,

--tom

· Registered
20,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/18125452

actually you are about 95% wrong. Most BD players clip white in their default settings.

I have two Oppo 83s and have tested them on both Pioneer and Panasonic displays. My calibration clients also have Oppos and use them on displays ranging from Pioneer to Samsung... LCDs to FP. NONE clip WTW. Any clipping in a video chain that includes an Oppo is caused by another piece of the video chain... more than likely the display.

If you and Michael say they clip white in most cases, please enlighten us in detail on what equipment (processors, A/V receivers, displays, video modes) they clip.

· Registered
980 Posts

Quote:
Any clipping in a video chain that includes an Oppo is caused by another piece of the video chain

Well....i guess our experiences are different then....as most of the Oppos I have worked with (including the 3 I own) all clip white in the default settings. This is independent of any display it is connected to and also independent of any AVR.

· Registered
20,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/18126524

Well....i guess our experiences are different then....as most of the Oppos I have worked with (including the 3 I own) all clip white in the default settings. This is independent of any display it is connected to and also independent of any AVR.

What type of displays are they connected to? Video mode? What is the manufacture date of your Oppos? Perhaps there is a bad batch of Oppos out there of what yours are a part of???

One thing I do know is that the Contrast control on the Oppo affect the display's peak light output. I've measured a 5fL reduction of peak light output for every click in the negative territory on the Oppo.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I like that one. Every single machine we encounter are all part of bad batches ...

regards

· Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell /forum/post/18121115

I have the Panasonic AE4000 projector. I have done basic calibrarions using the Spears and Munsil that came with my Oppo BluRay. Most all of the settings need zero changes out of the box according to S&M, maybe brightness +1.

Last night I put in UP Blu-Ray and looking through the menu I see a setting for calibrating HT. There is a test pattern for both brightness and contrast. The left side is black where you adjust the brightness until half of the flasing black lines dissapear. The other side of the screen is white and is the same process for contrast. When calibrating by these images, my Brightness gets pushed to +4 and contrast to +8. I then decided to throw S&M back in and this is way off according to them.

Anyone else tried these HD calibrations from Pixar?

I believe this has been brought up the S&M thread as well and I recall either Don or Stacy taking a look at the patterns and confirming that the patterns were wrong. They also implied that they have send feedback to someone high up in Disney about this and hope the patterns will be fixed in the future.

· Registered
20,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/18127183

Greetings

I like that one. Every single machine we encounter are all part of bad batches ...

regards

Is there a problem Michael? If so, speak up instead of posting these snide cryptic posts.

Oppo, Pioneer, Panasonic and/or LGs have clipping issues? I'm sitting hear right now viewing a WTW pattern via the AVS709 disc on a Pioneer Signature Elite PRO-101FD in Movie mode with my Oppo 83 and I see every bar flashing up to 255. Either I, and many others, have magical Oppos, or you are flat out wrong. Which one is it since you feel that a bad batch of Oppos of which Gregg's Oppos could be a part of, cannot happen.

· Registered
20,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil /forum/post/18128814

i personally have a pioneer bluray player and white had to come down a click, its connected straight to the TV via HDMI

On what display and what video mode. Both matter as some displays do clip some WTW, including my Pioneer's in certain video modes.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.