AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$350-$500 to have a professional calibrate your display is a scam, pure and simple. It was worth it with CRTs but today is irrelevant for consumer televisions. Not to mention you have to get your tv re-calibrated Again for even more money after a certain amount of hours. For consumer televisions, its is simply irrelevant.

A calibration disc gets you a very accurate picture already, and you can re-calibrate your tv again in the future for no extra cost. Calibrators try to convince you its worth it simply because thats how they make their money.

Oh, so blue is 1-3% a different shade of blue than the source. On screen, It is not visible to the human eye. You know its all BS when someone needs a meter to see the difference and errors.

Don't fall for it. Save that $500+ dollars and get a better plasma and calibration disc.

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
thanks for the heads up...i knew my eyes were deceiving me for years...after every calibration,there was a tremendous increase in PQ...my non-tech family immediately noticed it as well..since inow know the cause...i guess i will not have this done in the future..

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247554

$350-$500 to have a professional calibrate your display is a scam, pure and simple. It was worth it with CRTs but today is irrelevant for consumer televisions. Not to mention you have to get your tv re-calibrated Again for even more money after a certain amount of hours. For consumer televisions, its is simply irrelevant.

A calibration disc gets you a very accurate picture already, and you can re-calibrate your tv again in the future for no extra cost. Calibrators try to convince you its worth it simply because thats how they make their money.

Oh, so blue is 1-3% a different shade of blue than the source. On screen, It is not visible to the human eye. You know its all BS when someone needs a meter to see the difference and errors.

Don't fall for it. Save that $500+ dollars and get a better plasma and calibration disc.
No TV will ever be accurate out of the box due to the automated manufacturing process and panel variances. Every TV will be shifted towards a certain color out of the box that can only be corrected with a measuring device / meter because the eye is a bad measuring tool for color. These color errors can easily be seen by the human eye. Very few sets are decent enough out of the box where a calibration may not be noticeable to certain people, but any set can benefit from a calibration. Of course YMMV in terms of how noticeable it is.

A calibration disc alone has limited use without a meter. Outside of the basic controls, all it can do is display the test patterns, but you need a meter to tell you how far off it is from reference and where it needs to be. Again, your eye is not a good way to measure. That's not to say the differences can't be seen by the human eye, just that your eye cannot tell where it's supposed to be.

TVs only need recalibrations every 2-4 years (depending on the display and usage). Saying a "certain amount of hours" is a little misleading.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247657

thanks for the heads up...i knew my eyes were deceiving me for years...after every calibration,there was a tremendous increase in PQ...my non-tech family immediately noticed it as well..since inow know the cause...i guess i will not have this done in the future..

Thats because tv Out of the box settings are bad. If you used just a calibration disc you would have gotten 95% there and saved so much money. 5% difference is not worth $500+

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247798

Thats because tv Out of the box settings are bad. If you used just a calibration disc you would have gotten 95% there and saved so much money. 5% difference is not worth $500+
How do you calibrate grayscale and measure color luminance, hue and saturation with a calibration disc? How do you know how far they are from reference? How do you know what the gamma is? Again, these things cannot be calibrated with a disc alone... you need a meter. If the settings out of the box are bad, a calibration disc won't provide any help (or very limited help) in these areas.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247805

How do you calibrate grayscale and measure color luminance, hue and saturation with a calibration disc? How do you know how far they are from reference? How do you know what the gamma is? Again, these things cannot be calibrated with a disc alone... you need a meter. If the settings out of the box are bad, a calibration disc won't provide any help (or very limited help) in these areas.

I doesn't matter really matter. Even if it cant adjust those, you still need a meter to tell the difference. It simply isnt worth it. I got screwed for my calibration by a "pro" calibrator hnot worth the money I couldnt even tell a difference

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247723

A calibration disc alone has limited use without a meter. Outside of the basic controls, all it can do is display the test patterns, but you need a meter to tell you how far off it is from reference and where it needs to be. Again, your eye is not a good way to measure. That's not to say the differences can't be seen by the human eye, just that your eye cannot tell where it's supposed to be.

I'm interested to hear what others say about this. Coming from a musical background I know that if I take a familiar song like Amazing Grace and transpose it a couple steps most (non-musician) listeners will not recognize a problem at all. When told only that the rendition is different, perhaps by playing it back-to-back with the original, those same listeners will struggle to describe the problem using words like "brighter" or "sadder".

More to the point, what if I took your piano and tuned the whole thing perfectly to A=420Hz? You would of course hear the difference if you compared it to a properly tuned piano and a meter would quickly give me away. But in the absence of such a tool you would almost certainly never notice. Isn't this the same as calibrating a TV without a meter? It's relatively correct, just not absolutely so.

Edit: I know very little about my TV and I've certainly never calibrated one so I'm probably missing something conceptual here...

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jours  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247822

I'm interested to hear what others say about this. Coming from a musical background I know that if I take a familiar song like Amazing Grace and transpose it a couple steps most (non-musician) listeners will not recognize a problem at all. When told only that the rendition is different, perhaps by playing it back-to-back with the original, those same listeners will struggle to describe the problem using words like "brighter" or "sadder".

More to the point, what if I took your piano and tuned the whole thing perfectly to A=420Hz? You would of course hear the difference if you compared it to a properly tuned piano and a meter would quickly give me away. But in the absence of such a tool you would almost certainly never notice. Isn't this the same as calibrating a TV without a meter? It's relatively correct, just not absolutely so.

Edit: I know very little about my TV and I've certainly never calibrated one so I'm probably missing something conceptual here...

I am a musician as well (play guitar). I dont think its the same thing. Without a tuner, you can easily hear bad intonation, out of tune etc...

With tv calibrations, you cannot tell with your eyes a difference of 1-3% shade of a color.

·
Registered
885 Posts
How can YOU decide calibration is not worth it for ME or ANYONE else !

If you do not want an accurate display that is your choice but if you think you are getting 95% of a good calibration on your own .....well I want in on this wager.

Mark

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247838

How can YOU decide calibration is not worth it for ME or ANYONE else !

If you do not want an accurate display that is your choice but if you think you are getting 95% of a good calibration on your own .....well I want in on this wager.

Mark

Well I have first hand experience. I used Disney WOW and got great results. I then had a pro calibrator calibrate my tv and BARELY any difference. I feel scamed. I am allowed to express my frustrations.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247837

I am a musician as well (play guitar). I dont think its the same thing. Without a tuner, you can easily hear bad intonation, out of tune etc...

With tv calibrations, you cannot tell with your eyes a difference of 1-3% shade of a color.

I could definitely spot a piano that was very slightly out of tune after 30 years of playing. Sounds like you can too. I certainly believe there are others who can similarly discern colors. In fact I've seen graphic designers ace this exercise which I find absurdly difficult. Some of those colors can't be more than 1-3% different.

So I really don't doubt the benefit of calibration. My post above was just pondering the issue of needing a meter for calibration. Much like tuning a guitar "to itself" I imagine you could get a decent outcome without one. But I'm sure someone's going to come along and set me straight on that...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247820

I doesn't matter really matter. Even if it cant adjust those, you still need a meter to tell the difference. It simply isnt worth it. I got screwed for my calibration by a "pro" calibrator hnot worth the money I couldnt even tell a difference
No, that's simply false. Just because you don't see a difference doesn't mean everyone won't. Everyone's eyesight is different. To say a calibration makes no difference is just straight lies. Not you mention you use one example and make a bold claim such as this based on your one experience.

This thread shouldn't be moved, it should simply be locked.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've suspected this for some time but i won't make a post about it.........

·
Registered
851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76  /t/1421703/calibration-is-a-scam#post_22247820

At least you saw some improvement- I've read reports here by those who liked their picture even less after getting it calibrated. An "Emperor's New Clothes" situation? Or a case of J6P's who don't know what they,re looking at?

either way thanks for sharing. May be bad for business, but at least you didn't mention who it was (not best buy I hope?)!

·
Registered
16,530 Posts

Jason

·
Registered
903 Posts
I definitely agree that CRT tvs needed calibration.A few of the ones I had the geometry was suprisingly way off.Not sure if age was the reason.

I've had 2 lcds 46 inch.The colors and geometry looked very good.The other issues of the tv like motion blur,off angle viewing fadeout,bars on screen etc were WAY more of an issue than colors and geometry on newer lcds,plasma.

If that is the way they want to spend there money than so be it.$500 to one person is the same as $20 to another person.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.