AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony tv (kp-51ws500) looks extremely dark when I use my Sound & Vision (Best Buy version) disc to set black level. The colors are also way too oversaturated when I set color using the blue strip. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Also has anyone ever seen contrast set correctly on any HDTV at around 60%?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansouljah /forum/post/0

My Sony tv (kp-51ws500) looks extremely dark when I use my Sound & Vision (Best Buy version) disc to set black level. The colors are also way too oversaturated when I set color using the blue strip. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Also has anyone ever seen contrast set correctly on any HDTV at around 60%?

in addition, out of the box, this sony doesnt have a correct color decoder. You need to go into the service menu and change AXIS to 1 from a default of zero.

Make sure you select Warm as the temperature.

Black level on the 500 is probably one of the best, this series just needs a little tweaking out of the box compared to alot of other CRT in the past. Please be aware that many people always find the set dark when you calibrate it, its not the HIGH CONTRASTY look anymore.

You should probably used a disk such as AVIA, DVE to set your levels, but neverthelees, I find Pixar movies THXOptimer decent enough..try that..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo /forum/post/0

in addition, out of the box, this sony doesnt have a correct color decoder. You need to go into the service menu and change AXIS to 1 from a default of zero.

Make sure you select Warm as the temperature.

Black level on the 500 is probably one of the best, this series just needs a little tweaking out of the box compared to alot of other CRT in the past. Please be aware that many people always find the set dark when you calibrate it, its not the HIGH CONTRASTY look anymore.

You should probably used a disk such as AVIA, DVE to set your levels, but neverthelees, I find Pixar movies THXOptimer decent enough..try that..

Thanks for the reply. I have tried both settings for black level on my dvd player. The other setting makes the blacks extremely dark. Is there a site that tells you how to get into the service menu? I used to have the code but not sure where I had gotten it from. I didn't realise how off my set looked until I was watching my smaller tube tv and realised that my HDTV made skin tones look as if everyone had heavy make-up on. Also if my set goes below about 60% I start to lose depth in the picture and everything becomes almost flat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.