AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a Samsung UN55EH6000F 55" LED TV with an HTPC hooked up to it. I recently installed an Asus HD7790 2GB graphics card, and the picture is noticeably darker. Prior to, the onboard Intel HD4000 graphics looked fine off the bat, so I never bothered calibrating my display. Now I'd like to take the time to do so, but I'm a complete novice. I've read through these forums, but much of what I've read has gone well over my head. Here's where I stand...

I was about to purchase the Disney WOW bluray, but had a few questions first. Do I need to spend more time calibrating my TV or my HTPC? I have all my blurays ripped to .mkv format and played on my HTPC through plex or vlc, so I definitely want to calibrate the display through the HTPC (I don't even own a standalone bluray player). Is the WOW disc the easiest route to take? I don't mind spending a few bucks, but I'm not trying to break the bank here. I'm just looking for the initial steps a novice should take with my particular set up. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello,

adjusting the TV by using the WOW disc and Your eyes has nothing to do with calibration. It's just tweaking and You will never get close to any standard.

You will need a calibration software, a meter and a pattern disc. Software and pattern can be downloaded for free, but You have to pay some $$$ for a meter.

If You are really interested, a good start would be using HCFR software + AVSHD709 pattern disc, both can be downloaded here in the forum.

A good meter is the X-Rite i1 display pro.

As for Your problem with the new graphics card, check the drivers and make sure the output is set to video level (16-235).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts