AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum so be gentle
. As the thread is titled I have a Toshiba Regza 40XV645U, 1080P, 120Hz, HDMI cable hooked up to a Sony BDV-E300 system. I'm a Blu-ray virgin and for the most part a HD virgin and need help calibrating the system to look like "Blu-ray". I had a Samsung upscale 1080p DVD player hooked up to the TV, now with this Blu-ray system I'm not really noticing a difference in picture quality between the two. How do I get the most out of this TV and Blu-ray player? Thanks guys, I would really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'd start with movie mode, and make sure the enhancements like res + and dynamic contrast are off. Burn the AVS 709 test disc (or you can use a different test DVD if you have one) and use it to set your basic controls like brightness, contrast, etc. Don't try to adjust the Color Master controls; without test equipment it's not going to do much good, and it's not a well designed CMS adjustment either. The grayscale and gamma need some adjustment, but you can't do that right without buying a meter or hiring someone like myself. Try a contrast setting in the 90's if the test DVD doesn't help in finding an optimal setting for it. If it's in a totally dark room, try a backlight setting in the 30's. For a bright room, go higher...

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/18165417

I'd start with movie mode, and make sure the enhancements like res + and dynamic contrast are off. Burn the AVS 709 test disc (or you can use a different test DVD if you have one) and use it to set your basic controls like brightness, contrast, etc. Don't try to adjust the Color Master controls; without test equipment it's not going to do much good, and it's not a well designed CMS adjustment either. The grayscale and gamma need some adjustment, but you can't do that right without buying a meter or hiring someone like myself. Try a contrast setting in the 90's if the test DVD doesn't help in finding an optimal setting for it. If it's in a totally dark room, try a backlight setting in the 30's. For a bright room, go higher...

Note you mention gamma.

Is this adjustable on this Toshiba ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts