AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently switched over from RPTV to a Panasonic L300U front projector, and invested in the SMART III calibration product.

I'm wondering if anyone has concluded what the best practices are vs. not recommended practices for calibrating color balance for an HTPC/projector setup using the Powerstrip color controls vs. the overlay vs. the projector's controls.

One of the problems with the L300U is you get no direct control over green. You can adjust overall contrast/brightness, and then individually red and blue contrast/brightness, so to indirectly influence green you have to play with offsetting adjustments to the overall contrast/brightness and then red/blue.

Just looking at what you can do with Powerstrip it seems to potentially give much more precise control, and all of my sources go through the HTPC so I'm thinking of putting my focus into adjusting through Powerstrip. In my first round of tuning using just the projector controls, I was able to get fairly tight color balance at the higher IRE's but down at IRE 10 it is still pretty spread out, which made me think that this is an area where Powerstrip's finer controls would let me tighten it up across the board.

I figure others must have gone down this path before, is this the right approach or are there flaws or gotchas?

·
Registered
850 Posts
You might be opening up a larger can of worms than you might have anticipated. Make sure you can get back to the original settings :).

Anyways, even though I understand why you want to do it - people usually take the other way around. Most people use a specified settings for their HTPC, where the video card will produce a reference output - then tweak their PJ's settings to get as close as possible to a reference image. However, in some cases, the PJ's controls (or maybe hardware itself) limits the tweak possible and you can't get to the reference image 100%.

Then you thought about tweaking the output side to get that image to be 100%. However, you have to remember that if you change something upstream - it will change stuff downstream as well - and it might change some stuff you don't even know about.

The PowerStrip color controls doesn't affect the overlay - which you usually want because you're going to use the overlay to watch video stuff. Unless you're using VMR9, the PowerStrip color controls doesn't do you good. On some graphics cards, you can force the color controls to be applied to the overlay, but you'll end up with an overlay that doesn't look good at all. Give it a whirl - way back there is no global Overlay Gamma control on the ATI - using the gamma adjustment on the PowerStrip results in posterization.

So - with the PowerStrip control useless, the overlay control doesn't quite affect temperature (it does but on a global level, you can't change each individual RGB component), so you're out of luck.

If someone does find a way to use this - please share :).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.