AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a pn58b650 and have a few questions. They are picky questions, but they are bugging me . Attached are gamut and grayscale reports. I'm wondering 1) if there is a way to get blue more in-line using this CMS and 2) if this gamma can be made more linear. I particularly don't like the dip at 90%. I've seen some reviews (like Tom Huffman's) that are seeing the same gamma response as I am, but then I saw another where it was nearly ruler-straight. Thanks in advance to anyone that might have ideas.

Samsung PN58B650 Grayscale.pdf 119.54296875k . file

Samsung PN58B650 Gamut.pdf 110.0087890625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
greetings

You can't make the triangle bigger. That's it with blue.

dE 1.5 ... what part of beyond human perception do you not understand?

Imperfect TV ... Imperfect test instruments ... imperfect people ... and you are trying to squeeze out perfection with this mix ...

regards

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/18125703

greetings

You can't make the triangle bigger. That's it with blue.

dE 1.5 ... what part of beyond human perception do you not understand?

Imperfect TV ... Imperfect test instruments ... imperfect people ... and you are trying to squeeze out perfection with this mix ...

regards

LOL. I'm just a numbers guy (like most in here I assume). I'll just give up and enjoy it.

Still bothers me though

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

As for Gamma ... try the -1 0r -2 setting and see what it gives you.

The range is somewhere between 2.2 and 2.6 ...

You can keep grinding numbers, but you need to ask yourself if you are in this to enjoy films in the end or not. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

regards

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/18125810

Greetings

As for Gamma ... try the -1 0r -2 setting and see what it gives you.

The range is somewhere between 2.2 and 2.6 ...

You can keep grinding numbers, but you need to ask yourself if you are in this to enjoy films in the end or not. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

regards

I'm using the gamma -1 right now and I'm at 2.19 average. gamma zero was 2.08 if I recall correctly. Maybe I'll try -2, but the darker readings are already approaching 2.4 and I'm afraid if I push it to -2 I might lose too much shadow detail.

I really wish Samsung would incorporate more control over gamma in future displays. Everything else with it is just great.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Remember ... there is nothing wrong with a 2.4 gamma. It falls within the range. You also don't lose dark detail at 2.4 ... unless you set up other stuff wrong.

Even experts can't agree where this magic number is ... and you are saying you know better than them?

regards

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/18125888

Greetings

Remember ... there is nothing wrong with a 2.4 gamma. It falls within the range. You also don't lose dark detail at 2.4 ... unless you set up other stuff wrong.

Even experts can't agree where this magic number is ... and you are saying you know better than them?

regards

The only thing I'm an expert with right now is agitating my wife because I've always got a meter on the screen
I almost wish I'd never gotten into calibration. It's like an obsession. Well off to watch the Olympics and drink cheap beer. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.