AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya. Been lurking here for awhile... and this is my first post, so go easy. :)

First of all, I plan to buy a Mits 65313 (or a 413 if I can get a deal). And wanted to know how important you guys think a professional calibration is. They look pretty good to me out of the box... but maybe I am missing something. Also, do I have to have pretty high end AV equipment to take advantage of such calibration? I plan to buy a HD DirecTivo when they come out, and will probably get this $179 Pioneer DVD player I found at Best Buy, that does SACD and DVD-A. I have a good Sony Reciever from awhile back (DB830) but plan to replace it eventually with a Yamaha 5590. Other than a high end surge protector... thats about it.

Second, the set it is replacing is a Hitachi Ultravision... Its like half as old as I am. 40" or 42" I think. Anyways. Ive moved a couple times with it... and Im pretty sure it would be a challenge to make the convergence any worse. It has the board you can pop out of the front and manually adjust the convergence on these dials... I got it better but cant seem to stop the blue from bleeding around the corners. I have the AVIA DVD to assist. Anyways... is there a cheap professional calibration I can do on this set? I just want it "normal". Or are there any suggestions on doing it myself?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just some general comments. I'm in the business, so I do have a personal interest. But I think a calibration is a worthwhile investment on virtually any set, for someone who cares about picture quality. Check out my webpage under "Why Calibrate?" for some brief information, and also take a look at the links at the bottom of that page that go into a bit more detail.

The better your source components, the better your picture - but the quality of your source components has little bearing on what you have to gain from a calibration. (Although if you've spent megabucks on electronics, a calibration might be seen as crucial to maximize on your already sizable investment.) What you've described as making up the rest of the system is more than up to the task of revealing the benefits of a calibration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaning towards a calibration on the Mits... am I supposed to wait a period of time before calibrating? Like a burn in period? Also, I must admit, sometimes I dont "like" a properly calibrated picture. For instance.. I want to brighten up a video game or something, can I adjust the picture without losing the calibration I paid for?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey flyguy42. I've had a Mitsubishi Diamond (WS-65909) for 15 months, and I just it calibrated last week. You'd be amazed at what a proper ISF Calibration can do for your set. The white level in my set was about equivalent to a halogen bulb, but when the tech was done, it looked more like a Euro HID Blue headlamp. It was that different. You can imagine what a difference to EVERYTHING that made - especially colors! I thought it looked good before he came out too. I would definately recommend it!

·
Registered
845 Posts
mallu2u- As with any hobbyist, there is always the desire to improve what we have. To eek out every last bit of performance capable. With TV's it's real easy, because they are usually sent out of the factory in a condition to compete on a brightly lit showroom floor. This usually involves overdriving the TV's so they will appear brighter (look out for eye fatigue), then tinting the overall palette blue (for that nice sterile look), then goosing the color decoder (so everyone has nice Rosy cheeks against that cold blue background). The TV's are sent out the way they are, because after much research, they found that, that is what sells.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. So what kind of price range am I looking at? Is there any qualifications I should look for? I am in the Orange County/LA County area.

Also, what about my older set? How much would I be looking at just to get it so its not bleeding blue all over? And maybe a very basic calibration...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy42
Sweet. So what kind of price range am I looking at? Is there any qualifications I should look for? I am in the Orange County/LA County area.

Also, what about my older set? How much would I be looking at just to get it so its not bleeding blue all over? And maybe a very basic calibration...
The range is between about $300 and $500. I would ask the tech when he arrives about your older set. He might cut you a little break. You can log onto the ISF Website, and it'll give you a listing of all the certified(?) techs. I called several, and went with the most enthusiastic sounding guy.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy42

Try to get CraigM...he lives not too far from you (although he is on the road alot performing calibrations). He is not ISF trained...but he is better with Mits than any ISF I know (and I am ISF trained).

Craig and Sue Miller

MG Home Theater Calibrations

(909) 519-2090
[email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the diffrence between ISF trained and not? It is just a certification? Or is it the tools you use?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
It is a training/certification.

Craig uses the same tools an ISF uses. In fact, some ISF's do not have the proper tools (the ISF is trying to correct this now...people just going through the training and not buying the proper tools). Beware of those without proper tools or experience.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any idea on how much Craig charges aprox? How about for the old Hitachi (or does he do that stuff?)

I wouldnt suppose a six-pack would do the trick? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had my four and half year old Toshiba Cinema Series calibrated Sunday by Eric Pfoutz. His location is in/or around Torrance, CA, (310) 372-2558, [email protected] . He is ISF certified and did a good job. I hope to upgrade within a year to a 1080p Samsung or a 720p JVC if they are released as planned. Eric will be doing that one too. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good calibrator in the southern california/Los Angeles area? I will be receiving my CRT RPTV in about a week and want it calibrated ASAP, and I want to make sure it is done by someone who really knows what they are doing. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.