AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scheduled my long awaited calibration for my Hitachi 57f59 for Wed. Jan 23rd with a company called Lion AV. I must say as far as customer service and scheduling go, I am very pleased so far. I started by going to their website and booking a calibration, I was then promptly contacted and able to schedule the calibration during one of my days off. Gregg Lowen, who will perform my service, was very mannerable and gave me specific instructions in which to prepare ("cut out" my ambient light). His testimonials seem to hold him at high regard. I'll post my comments after the service along with a before and after pic.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Widely considered to be one of the best out there. Just don't expect him to re-engineer the TV. So many people out there have unrealistic expectations from calibrators ... from thinking they are repair men (which they are not) to TV design engineers.

Remember to ask plenty of questions ... as understanding the process is just as important as the end result.

Regards

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just hoping to get a better understanding of my set's capabilities. I paid good money for my Tv and I just wanna get the best I can get out of it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, My calibration was done yesterday on my Hitachi 57f59 RP CRT and I must say, I am more than pleased with the service. Gregg was scheduled to arrive between 4-6 pm and promptly showed up around 5:15. I answered the door to let him in and he immediately turned his attention to my set. "Wow, that's purple!" he said after taking a glance at my display. Now he wasn't viewing some Nat Geo HD brodcast showing images of a lilac field, not even close, He was actually watching Fantastic 4 SD via D*
. For the last couple of weeks, my set had a purplish tint to everything being displayed, flesh tones were so red, I had to move my tint completely in the green to dull it to the point where it was watchable. I am a HUGE Xbox 360 gamer, but my set looked so bad, I just stopped playing. Gregg assured me with a smile that he'd get that taken care of. The wife and kids were on the way out and he was very courteous to all of them, even joking with my son about playstation gaming.

OK kids gone (even though via email Gregg told me it wouldn't be necessary to have them leave, I felt I would be more comfortable having this done in a quiet house). Gregg immediately went to work, explaining everything step by step. Within 10 mins. he had the front panel of my TV off and he began turning some knobs, immediately I could tell the difference in my picture, the purplish tint was gone. He then placed some sort of electrical device on a tripod directly in front of my screen and connected it to his laptop. He informed me that he was working on my greyscale and adjusting my light out- put. It seemed very complicated, but Gregg did a great job keeeping me informed so I got the "basic" idea of what he was doing. I really appreciated that.

Long story short, Gregg was finished in about 2hrs and my set has NEVER LOOKED BETTER! My fleshtones are perfect, sharpness is precise, and even the grain I used to get when watching dark HD scenes, has been virtually eliminated. I was up until 3am last night just watching movies and playing Xbox. I must say, my SD DVDs being played on my Toshiba D2 HDDVD player seemed to have benefitted the most. I swear "The Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift" looks HD! I recommend this service to anyone considering it, and I know I might sound biased because my set was in bad shape before he started, but believe me, my set NEVER looked this good. NEVER. If you are considering it, take the plunge, and get Gregg Loewen to do it.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Gixxer /forum/post/12917452

Ok, My calibration was done yesterday on my Hitachi 57f59 RP CRT and I must say, I am more than pleased with the service .... . If you are considering it, take the plunge, and get Gregg Loewen to do it.

Thanks for your report. I've included it in the owner's list of reports (All Other Displays) that is linked at the bottom of my post.

A lot of people read the two list of owner's reports that I've been keeping. There is a glitch though. AVS archives all threads that don't have current posts when ever AVS's system starts to get overloaded. A thread like yours stands a good chance to being archived too soon. If there is an owner's thread for displays similar to yours, it would be great if you could repost your report there.

If you do, let me know and I will change the link to your report that I have now.

Enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts