AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poring over the threads in this forum, but unfortunately I am still not clear on what this community recommends for someone like me. I am a home theater enthusiast who just took the ISF calibration training class, and I'm eager to get started calibrating my TVs and those of my friends and family. Personally, I own some CRTs, LCD flat panels, and a Sim2 C3X 1080 front projector (my pride and joy!).

My question is: what equipment do you recommend? I have a couple of the calibrations disks (AVIA and GetGrey), but neither is in Hi-Def (I have a Blu-Ray player), so do I need another disk? I know I need some sort of color meter and some software, and I'm leaning against a signal generator.

But I was really interested in what the community recommends. I'm willing to spend up to $2,000.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Since you've such a high budget, it's pretty easy.

For SD-DVD, use GetGray.

For BluRay, use the AVS-709 disc(s).

For calibration S/W pick up a copy of HCFR (free) and Calman (a few hundred).

For probes get an i1Pro (can be packaged with Calman) and a Display LT.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Get the i1 with the Calman and you are set for all display technologies out there. If you are not going to go pro ... forget about generators.

The AVS forum here also has a free Blu test dvd ...

regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
ahh, i don't think my previus reply posted
here it goes again..

i'm thinking about going pro as well, what kind of equipment do you guys recomend? I see myself starting off w/ my family and friends first, then moving on to engage w/ possible customers. what equipment do you recomend lets say between 4000 to 6000 usd?

this is what i was looking at.. what else would i need?

SENCORE CP5000U & SENCORE VP403C on ebay for about 5500.00

sfisher64 where did you take that ISF calibration course?

thanks al your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I would start with a i1Pro and a Display2 they cover every type of display you will come across. The CP5000 hardware the ColorPro III and IV are a generation older than the Display2 or Chroma5 and would probably need to be recalibrated since they are used. As for a pattern generator AccuPel just released the 4000. As for software will I would concure with Michael on CalMAN

All of this would be under $4000 for brand new equipment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
great, any sources you guys know of to buy this equipment? i got a few private messages from a couple of websites.. i just don't know how trustworthy they are... i'm also bidding on Sencore Video Analyzer- ColorPro III, ColorPro IV on ebay.. at about 700.00 we'll see what happens there.

by the way, thanks for the reply sfisher64. there's a seminar my way (12 hr drive to dallas) in about 3 months.. so i guess i'll probably be doing that unless i find something else.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchochito /forum/post/12934407

great, any sources you guys know of to buy this equipment? i got a few private messages from a couple of websites.. i just don't know how trustworthy they are... i'm also bidding on Sencore Video Analyzer- ColorPro III, ColorPro IV on ebay.. at about 700.00 we'll see what happens there.

by the way, thanks for the reply sfisher64. there's a seminar my way (12 hr drive to dallas) in about 3 months.. so i guess i'll probably be doing that unless i find something else.

I would skip the CPIII and CPIV unless you just happen to want Sencore's software. A new DisplayLT will most likely give you better results. Our support forum has "translations" for the various OEM models of X-rite/GMB/Sequel Imaging meters so that you can make apples-to-apples comparisons.

Bill

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaVegas /forum/post/12959074

Sencore makes great equipment, has worked very well for me!

Sencore does not make the meters they OEM from x-rite.

The ColorPro II was from Sequel Imaging

ColorPro III and IV are from Gretag Macbeth

ColorPro V is the Chroma5 from x-rite

OTC1000 is the Hubble from x-rite

Over the last few years x-rite has been in acquiring mode. Sequel Imaging was acquired by GMB. x-rite has acquired GMB, Pantone and many others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts