AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendu2875 /forum/post/0

Best calibration DVD or whatever to use on my new plasma HP-S5053?

I want to get the best possible picture from it for both SD and HD..

Thanks

I would strongly recommend you spend some time researching in the Calibration forum.

Depending on how committed you are to attaining the "best" PQ on you new display, you may want to consider all your calibration alternatives up to and including professional calibration. There are more options than just adjustment DVDs. BTW these DVDs will help in "adjustment" but none will provide "calibration" without metering instruments. The point I am making is that adjustment is better than nothing but it is not calibration.

The forum will make this all a lot clearer. It's an interesting area. Be sure to start with topics in color science dealing with human vision, the perception of color. Then look at color video standards and terminology including an understanding of color temperature, white balance, grayscale, brightness, contrast, black level, hue, tint, saturation, and very importantly gamma. Gain an understanding of basic diagrams such as the standard CIE Chromaticity diagram for projecting a representation of color on an xy axis, a gamma diagram, and a color temp diagram.

With this knowledge, you will be in a better position to begin looking at alternatives for adjusting your display and have a better understand what to expect and what not to expect from each alternative. DVDs are fine but they provide just a rough starting point for actual calibration.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.