AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'd like to request some assistance in finding a good device to calibrate my PC monitor (Sony GDM-FW900, 24" CRT).

It has a 4-pin TTL service port which allows interfacing with the monitor via a service program called Sony WinDAS, which adjusts the unit's internal EEPROM and allows for various adjustments, more importantly the white balance for 5000K, 6000K and 9300K as well as G2 and all the relevant voltages of the monitor.

I will be doing all of the calibration using this program, on a hardware basis so I have no need for software profiling or kits to modify the GPU's LUT.

WinDAS basically tells you to display specific patterns namely black, white and 30 IRE and you use sliders to adjust the CRT's guns depending on the readings you receive from your meter...it's simple as that.

I will be using HCFR to generate these patterns so right now I am simply in need of an accurate, not too expensive probe that can work with HCFR so I can choose the specific D50, D65, D93 targets in order to calibrate the monitor.

I've taken a look at the i1 Display series after hearing that the Spyder2 & 3's are somewhat innacurate. I was planning on the i1 Display 3 (the new Pro) but it seems it has some kind of retail lock in and will not work with HCFR, and after looking at the official software it seems entirely centered around LCD displays (which presumably have almost no controls so everything has to be done in the LUT) and making profiles, offering almost no manual measuring abilities such as what you can do with HCFR. I may be wrong, but this is the impression I got from the official videos.

Therefore, I am leaning towards the i1 Display 2 (from what I hear it works well with HCFR, no?) and because it fits perfectly in my budget. How is the accuracy of these units, is there anyone here that I could get in contact with who sells and (preferably) tests these meters against a higher-grade device to ensure the accuracy, my only other option is eye-balling one from eBay as they do not sell them locally.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the Xrite DTP-94 still a viable buy or is there a better option? I can get it for ~180$ shipped from eBay (in the Monaco Optix XR package). Any place that I could buy just the meter cheaper?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts