AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in California all next week (Ontario...California..near LA) on a businees trip and I want to see if there are any stores around there that have demo rooms that show PJ's. Here in NYC, there are no stores that show PJ's. I will love to see the HS10, AE300, Sanyo Z1, or even the NEC HT1000. If anyone know that is resonably close to Ontario, CA....please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
None that I know of. Most places that have a FP tend to have the higher end units with poor setups. Makes it kinda tough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Haven't spent that much time looking, but I haven't found any either (what gives?) Hard to believe there aren't any in Orange County (Well to do upper middle class area)

·
Registered
853 Posts
WOW

Chino Hills and San Dimas

Hey I live in Chino, work in Orange

Sure wish there was somewhere I could see the HS10 and AE300 locally.

Muncey

·
Registered
232 Posts
of course there are no home theater shops in california. especially southern california. it's

not like we're the enterrtainment capital. oh wait...that's right we are...

Circuit City does however have some nice 19" Zeniths on display.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only two places I've found near my area (Southern CA) are: Evolution Audio (Augora) and Wilshire Home Video (Thousand Oaks). They both pretty much stick to the high end (read overpriced) PJs like the Sim2s and Runcos, although Wilshire has the Z9000. Their primary motivation is to be your installer, so they really aren't into guys like us who are reasonably well informed.

As a point of reference, one of them quoted me $2K to install a ceiling mounted PJ and screen. I purchased the Peerless mount for my M20X for like $300 and it took me 30min to mount it and another 20min to align it. They told me it would take two guys two days to do it. I'm a lame white collar guy who can barely tell a Phillips from a flathead, but I was able to mount the PJ and the screen w/o a problem by myself in very little time. What these guys do is definately not rocket science; common sense is all you really need.

However, I should say that the sales guys at Evolution are very friendly and low key and are willing to work with DIY hobbyists. I purchased my Firehawk screen and Integra preamp and amp through them. I get the feeling they kind of think I'm a lunatic for doing the work myself (they kind of wince when I walk in the door), but they're very nice about it :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
grodri02,

You should drop me a PM because I live about 10/15 min away from the airport!

The Panny outlet store is in Irvine, not sure if they have a AE300 but could call to find out!

ddog!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Panasonic outlet store, really, in Irvine? Where is it at, I think I just might have to visit it tomorrow if its anything interesting. Let us know what you found out about it, or give me the address or phone # if you have it.....

[edit] is it in Costa Mesa, I just search for a pansonic store in Irvine, and the closest is Costa Mesa?

I don't know, after trying all the major electonics stores here in So Cal, and hitting 2 different Home Theater shops, I kinda gave up hope many months back on buying my projector locally. The only electronic store that even has home theater projectors is Frys, and there not the greatest and priced kinda high (AE100 for $2.5K anyone? They also had a Canon LV1, and Sony HS1, and a higher end Toshiba LCD)

The Home Theater shops, while nice to you when they think you want a custom installation for >$5K, scoff and laugh at anything DIY, and don't know how do deal with value centered customers. Don't even mention a DIY screen or HTPC, they will simply laugh at you... They really belive that you can't anything acceptable out of a HTPC or a DIY screen. And how could ever even IMAGINE setting up and "calibrating" a projector yourself anyways???

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'll try and dig up this info for you, but I do believe that your right, it is Costa Masa.

For projectors, you can see them at

Great Indoors Z9000/FireHawk

Discount Sales (Ontario-Mills Mall) Dwin/FireHawk/GrayHawk

Tweeter Yamaha/FireHawk

Video Mart 2000 (San Bernardino) Sharp Z7000/Zenith 9inch CRT/Draper

Ken Kranes (Riverside) ?

I hope this well help!

Ddog!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.