AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a way to integrate a caller ID display device in my HT so that we may decide whether or not we want to pause the movie. I'm thinking of a large ~1" LED display which could be hidden behind the black GoM FR701 under my screen but would be visible when a call comes in. Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks,

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,310 Posts
No.................



Keep the world out during a movie. Think of the theater as the last refuge from the rest of the world.


Imagine watching the great seige in Lord of the Rings and as the climax approaches............some telemarketer's number flashes around the screen. Talk about a mood killer...


This sounds like a no-no to me.


Catch the phone after the film....they can wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Quote:
BRIGHT ID'ER CALLER ID 129.99 Now you'll know who's calling even if you're across the room from the phone! Even if you already have a Caller ID phone or display, you often have to stop whatever you're doing and run over to it to see who's calling. But this Bright ID'er Caller ID display lets you see all the info from up to 20' away! Large 1 1/8" x 8 1/8"-wide screen displays LED letters and numbers almost 1" tall! Displays caller name or number, "unavailable" or "anonymous". Indicator for number of new calls since last memory review; stores last 25 calls received. Clock is automatically set after the first valid ID message is received once the unit is turned on. While in clock mode, an LED indicates when the phone line is off the hook, and when it's ringing. Can be connected to phone, answering machine, or directly to the phone line without a phone (you'll see it where you are, even if there's not a phone nearby). 2 3/4" x 10 1/2" x 2 3/4" bracket holds the pivoting screen; can be wall-mounted or set on a tabletop. 6' cord with UL-listed AC adapter.
A little pricey, but fits the bill! Saw it in the Skymall Catalog while on a Delta Flight yesterday! Here's the link.


Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
I have a VTech cordless phone that has caller ID. When it rings, the green LCD lights up and displays the number /caller. When I watch a movie I have the phone very close by. If the call is important, I can walk away with the phone and let the others continue with the movie without hearing me babble. I used to have a corded Caller ID phone with a light up LCD but I ditched that. If you have guests over, the caller ID may be distracting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Brian: I have emailed two distributers of the BrightID'er to see if one can disable the default idle mode in which the time is displayed. I would prefer NO distracting display unless there is an incoming call. I'll let you know what they say.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
I suspect that most HD set top boxes are like my Toshiba, in that they have this featured built in. I've never even tried mine out, however, as it just didn't seem like something that I'd be interested in. Of course, the phone, with caller-id, is sitting on the table right beside the sofa where I sit when I'm watching tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
I have a BrightID'er and the Radio Shack version of it. I have it sitting on top of the TV. Its nice to have a clock visible in the room and sometimes during music I do not hear the ringer (I listen to it pretty loud) so its also nice to see a visible sign of someone calling. The name pops up and usualy catches my eye durning a movie or music, and at that time I make the decision to pick or not. We liked it so much in the media room, we bought one for the living room.


I do not think you can shut off the display durning down time. I have to try and find the instructions again to be sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
I'm with Jeff on this one. Let it ring.


If you're in your HT you're "at the movies" and not available to take the call. If you had actually gone to the movies you would have missed the call anyway, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
We went through this quandray with our home theater. Finally decided to do the "we don't answer the phone" thing. It's worked just fine. There hasn't been a single call that couldn't wait until the movie was over.


Deane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
I'm looking for a way to integrate a caller ID display device in my HT so that we may decide whether or not we want to pause the movie. I'm thinking of a large ~1" LED display which could be hidden behind the black GoM FR701 under my screen but would be visible when a call comes in. Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks,

Larry
You've watched Back to the Future II recently, haven't you? :)



I assume something could be done if you have a Home Theater PC. No idea how you would do that, unfortunately.


A quick search on Google found this:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electron...larcalidf.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fitsman
I have a BrightID'er and the Radio Shack version of it. I have it sitting on top of the TV. Its nice to have a clock visible in the room and sometimes during music I do not hear the ringer (I listen to it pretty loud) so its also nice to see a visible sign of someone calling. The name pops up and usualy catches my eye durning a movie or music, and at that time I make the decision to pick or not. We liked it so much in the media room, we bought one for the living room.


I do not think you can shut off the display durning down time. I have to try and find the instructions again to be sure.
Found the instructions...there is no way of shutting the clock off. Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Do you mean for DVD viewing? Because my old and dated HD satellite box already has on screen caller ID biult in. ( Hughes E-86)


Gus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
No.................



Keep the world out during a movie. Think of the theater as the last refuge from the rest of the world.


Imagine watching the great seige in Lord of the Rings and as the climax approaches............some telemarketer's number flashes around the screen. Talk about a mood killer...


This sounds like a no-no to me.


Catch the phone after the film....they can wait.
Well said, Jeff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
If you use a computer as your DVD player, check out CallerID Sentry written by JKohn (member of AVS forum). Use the search function to find out more. When a call comes the name & number are displayed onscreen. The font, size, color, position, & length of time displayed are all variable by the user. It is also an attention-getter. It's a great little addition to my setup - and it's free!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top