AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard wired phone jack on both my UTV, but neither of them are showing caller id. I enabled it in the settings area and I subscribe to caller id. Any ideas whats wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like you are doing it right. Just to check the obvious:

Make sure the receiver's able to get to the phone line. Unplug the telephone wire that goes to your receiver at the receiver end and plug it into a phone. Make sure you can make a call.

Are you sure your callerID is working? Do you get it on at least one phone?

Works like a champ on my RCA receiver. It even puts phone calls in the list when the receiver's off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue. On my main phone line, I have 1 wired phone, 1 wireless phone, 1 RCA DTV box, and the UTV. It is also used for DSL. I got the caller ID very intermittently after the 3.7 upgrade, like maybe 1 out of 10 calls. Following a recommendation on this site, I tried unplugging the wireless phone, called my house from my cell, and now it is working fine. It seems my phone jacks are daisy-chained from one to the other and there wasn't enough signal strength once it got to the UTV to activate the caller ID.

Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have any wireless phone jacks, and every other phone in the house gets the caller id. I ran a system test on the utv and it says the phone line is OK. Not sure what is going on. I tried reseting the utv but still nothing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would try unplugging all your phones but the UltimateTV and call yourself using a cell phone. If that works try adding phones until it fails.

Be sure to look at the troubleshooting section of the Caller ID help topic. Press "Options->Help" to get there. It mentions the need for the receiver to be powered-up for at least 10 minutes, the need to avoid wireless phone jacks, and the need to use a DSL filter on the UTV phone input if you have DSL.

The last page says "The UltimateTV receiver is more sensitive to phone line noise than dedicated Caller-ID only devices" and that it will not work on noisy phone lines. They recommend in that case that you turn the feature off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like you are doing it right. Just to check the obvious:

Make sure the receiver's able to get to the phone line. Unplug the telephone wire that goes to your receiver at the receiver end and plug it into a phone. Make sure you can make a call.

Are you sure your callerID is working? Do you get it on at least one phone?

Works like a champ on my RCA receiver. It even puts phone calls in the list when the receiver's off.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I can not get Caller Id to work on a regular basis. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. The only way I can be sure that it will work is to unplug the UTV system and plug it back it again then it will always work for the first call afterwards. There is no problem with other Caller ID phones in the house. I have put a DSL filter on the line even though that line does not have DSL on it. It does not seem to work any better if the UTV is on or of or when when adding calls to the list is activated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I also have a problem with caller ID. My caller ID works on all phones equipped with caller ID. It also works fine on my non-utv RCA box, but only works occasionally on my UTV box. Guess its time to start troubleshooting by disconnecting other sets.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Troubleshooting completed and ID still not working on UTV (maybe one in ten calls). Is there a way to reload 3.7?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a thought: Maybe since UTV is very busy doing other things if you pick up the phone call very fast the UTV might not have had time to register the call? This wouldn't be a problem with other devices which were not recording 2 channels to a disk at the same time.

PJA

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rstand
I also have a problem with caller ID. My caller ID works on all phones equipped with caller ID. It also works fine on my non-utv RCA box, but only works occasionally on my UTV box. Guess its time to start troubleshooting by disconnecting other sets.
Non-UTV RCA has caller id? What ones?

Scott.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
System is not too busy to display caller ID as not recording is going on. Also I do not have the box check to ignore unidentified callers. The system just fails sometimes to acknowledge calls becasue it apparently does not reset itself to look for a new call after processing a call.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Plug the phone line from your UTV into a Caller ID Phone / Display and see if it works

I have 2 UTV's 4 Caller ID phones 2 Caller ID voice anounce and they all work great!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.