AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a minor issue, but I've noticed that enabling caller ID on the UTV with version 3.7 fails to show any incoming calls. It also seems to interfere with my existing caller ID telephones, so I've disabled it. Anyone else seen this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I am having the same problem with my caller id. Turning on caller id breaks my normal caller id on my hard wired phone system. The jack for the UltimateTV is hardwired as well. Also, caller id does not work on the UltimateTVscreen. Any ideas? I am using ATT local phone service if that matters.....


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Are you other caller id units "call-waiting" compatible or no? I had issues when I mixed call-waiting units with non call waiting units. Some caller id units also have switches that say "primary" and "secondary." If yours does you probably need to set them to secondary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
It probably also matters how your house was wired. I do not have caller ID, nor do I have the upgrade, but...


Most houses seem to be wired in sequence. meaning the wires come in from the street and then they are daisy chained in sequence to every room. Meaning the last phone jack in your house has the interference and static of having gone through the entire home. It's also like a christmas light strand where a problem or intereference on one will kill the rest of the chain. My guess is that if your home is in this configuration and the UTV w/CallerID is towards the 'beginning' that it may be somehow interfering with the callerID reception and not properlly passing it along to the other phones as a normal phone-only would do.


As we finished our basement last winter, we re-wired the entire house. Put 2 Satellite connections, 1 CAT-5 (some rooms 2), 1 new Telephone and speaker wire in every room in the house. Every wire is called a "Home Run" in that every face plate in every room for every connection goes back to the central box in the basement. From that box, all connections are made via switches to the original source. Nothing is daisy chained.


Before we did this, my dial-up was restricted to around 20,000 kbps. This is why we currently use a 2-way satellite for our internet. After the re-wiring, I can connect at 56k. The old sequential wiring for telephone system is bad on many levels, but could be effecting the UTV calledID function too I would assume. Can someone who is experiencing this problem possibly switch locations between the UTV and the phone that no longer works? I wonder if that would at least show this was the case and then you'd know what and why it's happening...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried a hard reboot and it didn't fix the problem. The UTV breaks my caller ID, so I've disabled it. I have two phones and an RCA satellite receiver with caller ID that work as long as the UTV caller ID is not enabled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I would do the following:

First, check the to see if there is any settings on any of your other caller id boxes/phones/devices. If not, or if changing settings doesn't work, unplug every device except for the UTV. Then, plug each one of you callerid devices in one at a time and call your house from a cell phone and see if it works. If yes, then plug in the next device, etc. If no then disconnect that device and try the next caller id device. See if it's just the UTV that's causing the problem or if another callerid device is not happy with the UTV.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top