AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've managed to come up with something that seems to work, though there's probably still a bit of polishing that needs to be done. This should be considered beta quality, but I've been testing it on Win2k (and to a lesser extent Win9x), and it seems to work OK. You can download the program from http://home.houston.rr.com/jkohn/fil...erIDSentry.zip

Rather than trying to summarize the details from the readme, I'll just post it:

CallerID Sentry - BETA 0.5 - May 2, 2001

Written by Jeff Kohn

Description

============================

This program receives CallerID information from a modem, and displays it on-screen as a text overlay, providing the name and number of the caller.

Features:

- Display caller name and number, with option to not show unknown/blocked callers

- Fully customizable on-screen-display. (font, color, outline, screen location, display time, etc)

- Support for transparency and alpha-blending features of Windows 2000 and the upcoming WinXP

- Runs in Windows system tray

- Option to display the last caller's information

- Enable/Disable CallerID Info from the system tray

Installing the program:

The program consists of a single executable with no runtime DLL's, so just copy it to a location on your hard-drive and run it.

Revision history

05/03/01 - First public beta

Known issues:

I originally thought that layered windows and alpha blending were supported on both Win2k and WinME, but it turns out it's Win2K only. So the transparent text and fading effects will only be available on Win2k and WinXP when it ships.

The first time you run the program you'll get an error message saying 'Unable to Communicate with modem.' After clicking OK, right-click on the tray icon and open the Options dialog. From there, you can set the COM port and Init String for the modem.

I've added various init strings to the Options dialog that might work with your modem. If not, you can type your own init string. At the moment, there's not much in the way of diagnostics to determine if your modem will work with a given command; you'll just have to try it and see. Listed below is some information on init strings for various modems; these init strings are available for selection in the combo box on the Options dialog. Thanks to Maurice (last name?), the author of IdentaFone ( http://www.identafone.com/ ) for providing this information:

Open up Hyperterminal and make a connection to the comm port

your modem is on, but don't select the modem itself.

Try these init strings (preceded by "AT" of course)and see

if any return "OK". If so, then give yourself a call from

another phone.

#CID=1

Used in USR, Texas Instruments, Rockwell compatible modems

(excluding software modems and Rockwell HCF), Hayes, several

Pace modems, PowerBit, GVC, PCTel, IDC (VR series) devices,

Diamond Supra (Rockwell compatible).

+VCID=1 or +FCLASS=8;+VCID=1

All IS-101 modems, Lucent LT, Rockwell HCF (V.90 or K56FLEX,

e.g. PCI modems from Creative), some Pace modems (IS-101

compatible), MultiTech, IDC, Cirrus Logic, most of IDC modems.

#CLS=8#CID=1

Caller ID in voice mode in some 56K USR modems, some Rockwell

compatible (Boca Research, Cardinal, voice Zoom).

#CC1

Older non-voice Aspen modems, older Cirrus Logic, Motorola

Voice Surfer, Phoebe.

*ID1

Some Motorola modems.

%CCID=1 or %CCID=3

Practical Peripherals modems.

Future Development

I'll fix bugs as they are reported. Listed below are some of the features planned for future versions.

-Better diagnostics and error reporting

-Client-server report, so that the program can receive CallerID information from a modem in another computer.

-TAPI support, so that people who also use their modems for dialing out to an ISP won't have to disable CallerID.

-Possibly some sort of Do-Not-Disturb, that only allows callers to be announced if they're on a list

Feeback and contact info

Send any bug reports and feedback to [email protected] One of these days I'll put up a web page for the program, but in the meantime you should be able to download the latest version from http://home.houston.rr.com/jkohn/fil...erIDSentry.zip

Disclaimer of warranty:

This software is provided free of charge, "as is", and without warranties whether expressed or implied. Because of the various software and hardware environments into which this program may be put, no warranty of fitness for a particular purpose is offered.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thanks Jeff, this sounds great!!!

So it will still work on ME, just without some of the special effects?

Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is great - is there a specific feature on modems that must be supported for this to work? or is it just called "caller id support" and exposed through TAPI on WinXX?

Thx

Conor

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
So it will still work on ME, just without some of the special effects?
It should work on Win9x/ME, you just won't be able to use the Alph Blending and Fading effects for the text overlay.

Quote:
This is great - is there a specific feature on modems that must be supported for this to work? or is it just called "caller id support" and exposed through TAPI on WinXX?
Most modems should support CallerID, but there are some exceptions. If you have the reference manual, you should be able to find out in the AT Command Reference. Otherwise, you can try the instructions in the readme to see if your modem responds to any of the caller-id commands.

The current version of CallerID Sentry talks directly to the modem, so there's no TAPI involved. I plan to look into TAPI support in a future release, but it may be a while since the client-server version will come first.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Jeff -

What I like about my MS Cordless Phone software was that it would announce caller-id using text-to-speech over my intercom system. (maze of wires from my sound card)

Of course that was back when it worked. It now doesn't announce anything until about the fourth ring under Win/Me for some reason.

Also I'd like the option of answering and taking a message on the first or second ring for unidentified callers (salesman).

Any plans for any of that? Or of making it open source so someone else could?

- Tom

------------------

(This sentience has tree errors.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I actually don't own a modem anymore http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif So I'd have to buy one. That's why I wanted to know if there was a feature name for it...

I'm a broadband snob, I guess.

I also used the MS phone to screen calls, until one day it got possessed like in that Poltergeist movie and started screaming static. It was very bad. I had to kill it with a hammer. So, I'm looking for a good solution that allows me to get callerid (and messenging) WITHOUT demon possession.

[This message has been edited by Conroy (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Great work, Jeff!

I am very much looking forward to the client/server version.

My HTPC does not have a modem, but another computer on my home network does. I would love for it to "tell" the HTPC who is calling and display it on the screen!

Thanks for taking this bull and running with it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
GREAT WORK JEFF!

Works very well on my WinME machine with LT WinModem (Lucent). Can't wait for client/server support.

Thanks! -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everybody for the kind words, I look forward to hearing from people who try it out.

Conroy,

Unfortunately, modems often won't specifically list Caller-ID as a feature on the box or in advertising even if they support it. At one point I was considering purchasing an external modem for my HTPC, and came across this modem from Phoebe Micro. They have the reference manual online, and it says it supports Caller-ID. This is a USB modem and sells for $40 according to Pricewatch. I ended up not buying a modem, but it might be worth looking into.

Tom,

I have a MS Cordless Phone too. Funny story, when testing my code I had this wierd problem where a second call immediately following a first would result in the modem trying to answer. I spent hours messing with my code before I realize it was the MS Phone trying to answer, not my modem. I wish MS would open-source the drivers to the Cordless phone so we could write our own app for it.

Text to speech is an option I might be willing to look into in the future. Taking messages is not something I see adding to this app, since one of my goals was to make a program that was small and relatively unobtrusive. A full-blown voicemail app doesn't fit that bill IMHO. I don't want DVD playback to start stuttering every time the phone rings. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I probably will release all the source under GPL at some point, but not until I've finished more of the client/server and other features and the code has stabilized.

milori,

My HTPC doesn't have a modem in it, either, so you can be sure that client-server support is a high priority. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JKohn (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
. A full-blown voicemail app doesn't fit that bill IMHO. I don't want DVD playback to start stuttering every time the phone rings.

My HTPC doesn't have a modem in it, either, so you can be sure that client-server support is a high priority.
Yeah, my MS Phone software runs (as much as it does anymore http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ) on my server, in another room instead of my HTPC. That's why the text-to-speech and the speakers all over the house. I actually created it that way because my server gives certain stock alerts when interesting things happen in the market, but adding the audible caller-id was a natural.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the serial port IO just for the caller-id doesn't disrupt DVD's somewhat.

I could easily couple the announcements with a normal answering machine but I always wanted the 'first ring answer' for selected callers. I haven't seen anything that does this. I even pestered Microsoft for the feature back when MSPhone was supported but it had the predicted effect. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

- Tom

------------------

(This sentience has tree errors.)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good job.

I was surprised it worked with the modem I had in my HTPC (a 3-year-old Gateway Telepath). That was the only reason I had the modem in there, so it was nice to see the CallerID function worked on the first time out.

I do have a Z-Order problem with ATI's Multimedia Center 7.1 running on Windows 98SE, though. I can ATL-TAB to the display when the phone rings, but it doesn't come all the way to the top.

[ The Z-Order problem was fixed by a new executable that Jeff sent via email - THANKS! ]

Also, can you add a check box in Options to be able to set a solid background? Since we can't have transparency on other than Win2K it would make things more readable.

[This message has been edited by Teran (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cool Program.... I didn't bother checking it out earlier cuz I had Talking Caller-Id. But I tried it and this beats that hands down!! Bye annoying sound problems. Can you please consider adding HOTKEYS? That would make this the ultimate and much more useable, I think. Please...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fix for the Z-Order problem Todd reported is also now available for download, so anyone who downloaded earlier today may want to get the latest version.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bdschuler:
Can you please consider adding HOTKEYS? That would make this the ultimate and much more useable, I think. Please...
I'm a little hesitant to consider hotkeys, because they would have to be system-wide in order to work, then you have to worry about not robbing keystrokes used by other programs, etc. What functionality would you want hotkeys for? Display Last Call? Enable/Disable?

If you use Girder, you could set up your hotkeys (or IRMan code) from there and have it send the appropriate WM_COMMAND msgs from there. Now that I think about it, I'll probably whip up a Girder export group to do just that.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A new version is up. I had to rewrite the ring detection, since it didn't seem to be working on some Win98 systems. I also fixed a few bugs relating to anonymous/blocked calls, and created a Girder export group for controlling the program.

Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jeff,

The girder export group is an awesome idea. That is what I was after with the hotkeys. I want to be able to control it better through girder. Thanks.

Barry

·
Registered
574 Posts
KJohn,

The program works great! This is exactly what I was hoping to see - great job...

I'm not even going to ask for any changes, I think it is perfect. I can't wait to see it pop up during the next movie with my wife - she will love it.

Keep up the good work.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

[This message has been edited by brian_vh (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dumb question time: do you need to have some sort of caller ID feature enabled on your phone account to use this? I get the software installed ok, call my home from my cell phone, and no dice. nothing pops up. Should it work with any vanilla phone service?

------------------

--}{: --}{:

--}{: --}{:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.