AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently upgraded my home theater equipment and need some help on the setup. I made some assumptions from my old setup that are not working with the new equipment.

New Equipment:

TV - Panasonic TH-C42FD18 42in Plasma

Receiver - Yamaha RX-V463BL

DVD - Samsung DVD-1080P8

Wii system

No cable or satellite - using a digital antenna

My hope was to use only one remote control for everything through the receiver and not to change the input mode on the television. with my current setup this is not possible.

Current Setup:

--DVD connected to receiver w/ HDMI

--Wii connected to receiver w/ component w/ a one-jack cable connecting the monitor out jack on the receiver with the video 1 in on the TV

--Antenna connected directly to TV with optical cable connected to receiver for audio

--Receiver connected to TV w/HDMI

Here is my assumption that's screwed up. I assumed that with the HDMI out from the receiver going to the HDMI in on the TV, EVERYTHING connected to the receiver would go through this input and I wouldn't have to the change the input option on the TV - just control it with the receiver remote control.

Is this possible? I am wanting to ditch the DVD and TV remote and just use the receiver remote with only the HDMI 1 input on the TV in use.

Any recommendations or tips on a better setup (possibly different equipment) would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Due to HDCP encoding restrictions, a receiver will not convert component to HDMI, so the component connection from the Wii must remain component to the TV (I assume the Wii does not have an HDMI output). Only an HDMI signal can go through the receiver HDMI connections.

Obviously the antenna connection to the TV can't go though HDMI.

So I don't know that you can do anything to simplify your setup except perhaps go to a universal remote and program it to contol all the devices if you want one remote to control everything.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/15565255

Due to HDCP encoding restrictions, a receiver will not convert component to HDMI, so the component connection from the Wii must remain component to the TV (I assume the Wii does not have an HDMI output). Only an HDMI signal can go through the receiver HDMI connections.

The above is NOT correct. A receiver CAN up-convert and send all video out the HDMI port this includes S-Video, Component and Composite.

What you CAN NOT do is go from HDMI down to Component, Composite or S-Video. Meaning you can not have a Blu-Ray player connected to your receiver via HDMI and your receiver trying to send the Blu-Ray signal out to the TV on Component. It MUST go out HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal72 /forum/post/0

I assumed that with the HDMI out from the receiver going to the HDMI in on the TV, EVERYTHING connected to the receiver would go through this input. . .

You should be able to do that, BUT according to the receiver specs on Yamaha's site this receiver does NOT support Up-Conversion. You would have to move up to the RX-V563 in order to get Up Conversion

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
James is right about upconversion. I had it backwards. Component to HDMI is possible. HDMI to component is not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you are still going to be screwed by the digital antenna. now matter if your receiver upconverts or not you will need to change channels on the tv with the antenna.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techphil /forum/post/15566676

you are still going to be screwed by the digital antenna. now matter if your receiver upconverts or not you will need to change channels on the tv with the antenna.

The above is also incorrect. All you need is digital box that will handle digital ATSC over-the-air HDTV broadcast signals, such as this one .

Once you get a box, like the one above, you can connect the DVI, using a DVI to HDMI cable, out from the box to the HDMI in on your receiver.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
James' solution of using an external ATSC tuner will just transfer the channel change control from the TV to the external tuner. Seems like a net sum zero change. You still need to control two devices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts