AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I've acquired a BD808s and last night balanced it on a couple of pallets to see if it was working / how good it was, etc..

It all works fine except (there had to be a except, didn't there!)

It's reading just over 2000 hrs runtime and appears to have minty tubes but the focus is sooooo soft that even the cat want's to sit in it!

I managed to get a nearly sharp picture by cranking the EM focus midpoint setting to 100% but it's still soft.

Do I need to twiddle a pot or three inside somewhere?

Other than soft, it's a great picture, nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe not FIRST.

Maybe first you check that your actually seeing a problem with electronic focus, look into the tubeface and see if the test pattern is sharp on the tubeface. Maybe the scheimplfluge is snookered ?

If its soft on the tubeface, check your electronic astig and see that it isn't maxed out in a way that will negatively affect your electronic focus.

Did you reset everything to midpoint before you threw up a picture ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, it looks soft when looking into each lens. I set to midpoint to remove any legacy settings. Data 808s doesn't have scheimplfluge I thought.

I suspect these may be new tubes as they really are 100%. Perhaps they were replaced recently and the tech didn't spend much time doing it? Who knows

Anyway, over the weekend I'll try the mechanical tweak of the neck hardware.

I must say, I'm not looking forward to sticking my hands into thousands of volts - got any suggestions which are the hot bits to avoid?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
The yokes have about 40 volts going through them. NO risk of shock from them.

Heck, how do you think I get my brain started every morning? Stick both hands on the end of a Marquee HVPS and fire the set up!

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Wear a rubber glove..........................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.