Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

FUTURE SHOP has the new HarryPotter dvd, 1 day only sale TO-DAY APRIL 11, for $19.99.

Peter m.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I recall FS doing this for SW Episode 2 and they had more than enough on hand for everyone. I buy most of my DVD's at FS and have never found them to be sold out at advertised special prices.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Interesting! Maybe they do things differently by region. I remember they did these same for the theatrical version of LOTR and they had limited the amount to only a few per store. (I also by most of mine at FS as well - overall you can't beat their prices).

Kal

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here on the West Coast, any FS that I have frequented has always had a huge display for their blockbuster specials. I wandered into a FS around 2:30PM today and the checkout queues were filled with customers clutching their HP DVDs. Unfortunately, the majority of customers, that I saw, had chosen the full screen version.

Peter

·
Registered
180 Posts
April 11:

I went to Future Shop and overheard a number of people asking for the full-frame version of Chamber of Secrets. The sales rep said that they sold out of the FF version and suggested that they buy the widescreen version and come back the next day to exchange it.

April 12:

Curious, I went to a Future Shop (a different location) and asked a customer service rep if there were a lot of people exchanging the WS version for the FF. His reply: "It's the exchange of the day."

The question that remains is, "When, oh when, are 4x3 monitors going to be phased out?" :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hear this discussion in Best Buy and other stores all the time. The "helpful" associate is explaining the difference between WS and FS to a hapless customer. They do tell the customer that the sides of the FS DVD are chopped off, but they also tell them that there will be black bars at the top and bottom of the screen if they buy the WS.

What they fail to tell them is that on your next TV, you're going to see black bars on the sides of the screen if you buy the FS version. The term "fullscreen" is going to be an anachronism in a few years anyway.

They also don't make it very clear that you're losing part of the movie with the "formatted to fit your screen" deal.

I suspect that this is a plot to make everyone re-buy their entire DVD collection when they upgrade their TV.

Unfortunately, Best Buy has the best prices on new releases around here. My general rule is to run in, avoid eye contact with the sales associates, and get the heck out as quickly as possible.

Brad

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, and their about 6bucks cheaper cdn than HMV on dvd-a and sacd.

I spoke to the manager the other day about new titles and he actually had someone call me to-day when some came in.

He's my new best friend.

Peter m.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wife bought the DVD from Walmart on Friday Morning for $19.99

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Best Buy in Canada is selling it for $19.99 CDN too. Tons of copies at both FS and BB.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah, BB has it for that, and Wal-Mart and FS will still match it. The BB/FS "one-day" sale was extended because the flyers advertising the sale price came out on Friday, the same day as the disc, and lots of people complained about the short notice. IME, in the 6 months or so BB has been open here, they are notorious for having zero copies of the discs on sale, but not when it's a major release, and seem to have improved lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.