Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have finished implementing UMR's tweaks (thanks a ton UMR) but now cannot decide if I like the 'Neutral' or 'Warm' color temp setting on the GWII better !?!?!?

My first big question is, which setting is everyone else using ??? I know UMR's tweaks are done under the 'Warm' setting, but even after performing the SM adjustments, both 'Warm' and 'Neutral' look really good. I could drive myself crazy going back and forth between the color temps. In the User Menu the 'Warm' setting does say 'NTSC Standard'. Although I am not sure what that means. Which leads me to my second question...

Are the UMR tweaks only to be used for the 'Warm' setting ? Will they not look right on the 'Neutral' setting ? I cannot tell if anything looks weird going to 'Neutral' off the bat, but figured I would ask. I know there is a reference to this type of question in the FAQ in UMR's guide but I did not find it helpful.

Eagerly awaiting replies !!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
With UMR user menu tweaks, I prefer the neutral color temp setting - it looks better to me because of the brighter/bluer whites. The warm setting makes the whites a bit too red and the reds are too orange. This is just my own personal preference.

Also, compared to UMR I upped the sharpness just a little because the picture looked too soft. I like the sharpness between 20-25 ticks.

UMR tweaks are great, don't get me wrong,, but I think in the end you have to please your own eyes. You don't have to torture yourself about what's right and wrong if you find alternate settings that you prefer. Just be sure to share your alternate settings so the rest of us can try them. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Think.

Yeah, I really liked the 'Neutral' temp after doing the tweaks. I just wasn't sure if by doing the tweaks under 'Warm' mode, I was not going to have the correct color schemes for 'Neutral'. Even though it looked good, I didn't really try 'Neutral' until after the tweaks and thought maybe 'Neutral' would look better without them.

Good to know you like 'Neutral' even after the tweaks.

I set by sharpness a few notches higher as well. along with the brightness and color. I still have not changed the SM tweaks that change the user settings (brightness, picture, color, ect...) for each input. I am not to clear on this part, but the brightness that is great for DVD's is too dark for X-Box games and TV.

Can anyone clear up how to have the brightness level different for each input.

Also, with using UMR tweaks and then going to 'Neutral' color temp, is there a particular setting to get just a tad warmer 'flesh' tone ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did all of the tweaks and I use neutral color in pro mode.

I also increased the color and lowered the bright slightly in the user settings as compared to what UMR had in the guide. The screen looks MUCH less washed out that it did before. The vibrancy of the colors now more resembles vivid mode without all the artifacts that vivid has.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.

C'mon people, I know we have more GWII owners than this !!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakkenFire
I did all of the tweaks and I use neutral color in pro mode.

I also increased the color and lowered the bright slightly in the user settings as compared to what UMR had in the guide. The screen looks MUCH less washed out that it did before. The vibrancy of the colors now more resembles vivid mode without all the artifacts that vivid has.
I'd be interested in your settings as we seem to be similar is tastes and I'm finding the same washed out look now which I'd like to get rid of.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Neutral, warm looks too red on my set.

Neutral-pro : for digital cable

Neutral-vivid: for dvd

Neutral-standard: for PS2

·
Registered
193 Posts
Agrajag,

Im at work, but I will post my settings for color, bright, etc, when I get home.

From what I remember tho, picture was 100%, color was about 50%, bright about 35%, and sharp about 50%... but ill post the exact number of "ticks" asap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My settings for Pro (after using tweaks):

Picture: 100%

Bright: 18 ticks

Color: 37 ticks

Hue: right in the middle

Sharp: 32 ticks

Color Temp: Neutral

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like the cool setting for 70% of my viewing. I have done the tweaks as well.

When it comes to hd or dvd viewing I scroll all the modes until I find the setting that best suits that particular movie. Whats wild is some dvd's look best on standard, while some hd looks best on mild.

·
Registered
193 Posts
SO WHAT?

I realize that its the closest to the NTSC standard. But who cares? I want to enjoy my set as much as possible, and if I think it looks better on neutral (or cool) whos to tell me im wrong?

Im not trying to flame you, but you came on a little strong with the caps. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spooky,

I know you just got your TV last week as well as myself.

If I recall correctly you are newbie with all this TV stuff

and you have already done the UMR Tweaks. WOW

I am also a Newbie.

I work in the computer network field so I like to tweak with

stuff. But when you spend this kind of money and your own money you don't want to screw stuff up.

Where the Tweaks hard to do? Did you do them all?

Was there a lot of changes from the original settings?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin_Texas
Spooky,

I know you just got your TV last week as well as myself.

If I recall correctly you are newbie with all this TV stuff

and you have already done the UMR Tweaks. WOW

I am also a Newbie.

I work in the computer network field so I like to tweak with

stuff. But when you spend this kind of money and your own money you don't want to screw stuff up.

Where the Tweaks hard to do? Did you do them all?

Was there a lot of changes from the original settings?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

I am a computer tech as well and I thought the tweaks were not hard to do. I was nervous at first but decided to go for it. I do wish the tweak guide was more 'step by step' instructions, but it was pretty clear what to do once you get in the service menu and see what's it all is.

There is a TON of stuff in there so I would say the changes in the guide are not too many from the original settings.

Just MAKE SURE you record all the original settings. If you do this, it is super easy to go in a 'play around' a bit and always be able to put it back the way it was.

I ended up putting some of the settings back and then changing others to settings I liked better. The main setting changes in my opinion are the 'ORC' and the 'GAMM'. I actually put the 'GAMM' in between the original setting and UMR's setting. I just liked it better.

Actually, after an bunch of viewing and comparing, I will probably be doing more viewing under the 'Vivid' and 'Standard' modes than the 'tweaked' 'Pro' mode.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Again, I have "neutral", and that is the best, overall. With that I use PRO, but I have to say that my "dark scenes" are so mediocre in detail that I have found that punching VIVID during those scenes helps with the detail in shadows a lot without the "colorbook" colors...just a short-term tweak. Totally different issue in brighter scenes...back to PRO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.