AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have used the H/K AVR510 and AVR520 with a H/K FL8550 and never noticed anything missing from music CDs. In fact both units were refurbs and look and performed flawlessly. Maybe that is the trick - H/K refurbs seem to have fewer problems than new units. My DVD player (toshiba 2300) itself has about a 2 second delay when I stop/pause and restart it, but I don't blame the receiver.

Dsmith

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Elm
Has anyone had any experience with THIS problem?

Especially 525 owners...

thanks
The problem U raise is more dependent on the optical player rather than the AVR. In order for the AVR to auto-detect the proper DSP format such as DD, DTS or PCM the bitstream from the optical player must be present @ the selected AVR digital input. Just because U have hit the Play button on the DVD or CD player does not mean its bitstream is outputted instantly. The actual time interval between hitting the Play button and having sound output from the AVR is a multiple process, its basic steps are:

1. Hit the CD/DVD Play button

2. Bitstream must be active from the CD/DVD player

3. Bitstream is detected @ the AVR

4. AVR DSP must identify and load the proper algorithms(decoder file) for processing

5. Bitstream must be extracted (unpacked)

6. Bitstream must be decoded

In our product evaluations we have found that the Harman/Kardon AVRs typically will go from point #3 through 6 in an average of 1- 1.25 seconds. But that it takes another 1-2 seconds for the points#1 & 2 to be done. Therefore the total time is the end result can be up to 3 seconds yet the AVR is only responsible for about 50% of this time interval. Also during our evaluations we have found quite a significant differences in time intervals of points #1 & 2 between brands of optical players. In later CD/DVD players like 2 years old...

Just my $.02 worth... :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own the H/K 520 and have experienced the same problem. I have 2 DVD players (1 samsung and the most recent a pioneer). I did a/b tests connecting both players via the digital and analog inputs. Both presented the problem on various cd's when the digital inputs were used. I played different cd's and found that the one's that presented the problem in one dvd player also presented it in the another. This makes me wonder if the 2 second issue on these particular cd's are the cause of the problem.

Would it be too much of a coincidence that both player's could be causing this ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.