AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey All!!!....I finally started upgrading my Home Theater Gear from 12 years ago and greatly appreciate any advice that comes my way.

Here’s what I got:

Monitor: Sony KDL-55HX850

Receiver: Pioneer SC-75

Center: Bowers and Wilkins CM Center

FL/FR/SR/SL: Klipsch Quintets (12 years Old) – Intend on upgrading to B&W M-1s

Subwoofer: Yamaha SW150 (15 Years Old) – Intend on upgrading to ????

My main question is regarding taking advantage of the 7.2 channels my new Pioneer SC-75 can handle.  As you can see, the TV is mounters about 5ft from the floor (tilted at an 80 degree angle) in a custom made corner cabinet.  Currently to the left and right of the top of the cabinet are my white Klipsch quintets with the SL & SR equidistant off to the sides of the main viewing seat (see pix).  As is blatantly apparent, I’m a little constricted on space with the window and fireplace to either side of the TV.  

My thought is to mount flat panel monitors (B&W FPMs or VMs) to the wall below the TV to the left and right of the cabinet rack (see pix) and assign them as FL & FR and reassign the current FL & FR Klipsches (soon to be M-1s) as FLH & FRH.  I have no floor space for towers and the “wife factor” comes into play as well.  My concern is the new FL & FR being so close to the center channel…..I might lose any discernable difference in the sound stage between the new fronts and the center and/or they could cancel each other out.  I don’t have a lot of room to work with but my best estimate is I would have about 13-14 inches from the right/left edge of the center channel to its corresponding front flat panel monitor.  At this distance, if I could move them up to the same level as the TV, they might just barely overlap or “but up” against the side of the TV.  Additionally, I should be able to use mounting brackets that allow me to angle them towards or away from the optimum viewing position depending upon what works best…..any suggestions in this regard?  Height wise, I have plenty of room, so any of the FPM or VM series should have no issues.  Any thoughts on which series might work best?  The good news given this configuration is the L/C/R would be at “ear level” sitting in the optimum viewing position on the couch.  Also, I’d probably remove the accordion doors for the cabinet as I never want to hide all my gear anyways.  The room itself runs approx. 26 x 18 feet and is a sub-basement approx. 4ft underground.

If this turns out to be an exercise in futility, I’ll probably just stick with the M-1s as my fronts in a 5.1 setup and skip the notion of a 7.1 system all together.

Also, any suggestions as to a good sub to go with this set up?  I’ve been researching SVS and it seems like you a lot of bang for your buck as I don’t plan on dropping 3K on a sub……more like$ 700-800 with my budget.

Thanks to all that respond as I’d hate to drop the $$$ on new fronts with no benefit.

John

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you are going to mount your front L&R so low, can you tilt them up a little to get the drivers on axis with your ears in your normal listening position? It would help a little, although the coffee table poses a real acoustic obstacle. Are the two panels to the right and left of your TV off limits? Or won't the speakers fit there?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts