AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into music since I can remember, I'm in my 50's. My dad, God rest his soul, was a Jazz fan. He died when I was 9 but I remember him liking Big Band and Dixieland. I grew up with Rush, Deep Purple etc but have since broadened my horizons. Steely Dan is probably my Favorite band right now. Jazz influenced to say the least. I'n not too much into the "wave" type jazz, the newer stuff they play at the dentist. Thanks to Charley Brown I'm a fan of Vince Guaraldi. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a masterpiece. Who can recommend some good stuff?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman  /t/1520335/calling-all-jazz-fans#post_24422967

I've been into music since I can remember, I'm in my 50's. My dad, God rest his soul, was a Jazz fan. He died when I was 9 but I remember him liking Big Band and Dixieland. I grew up with Rush, Deep Purple etc but have since broadened my horizons. Steely Dan is probably my Favorite band right now. Jazz influenced to say the least. I'n not too much into the "wave" type jazz, the newer stuff they play at the dentist. Thanks to Charley Brown I'm a fan of Vince Guaraldi. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a masterpiece. Who can recommend some good stuff?

I'm in my 50s too, and probably grew up with many of the same musical touch stones you did. I'm also into Rush and certainly a big fan of Steely Dan.

Kind of Blue is a masterpiece and is as good a place as any to start when getting into jazz. If you want to start with Miles Davis (a genius and central figure in jazz), you can work your way through his albums, especially those of the 50s and early 60s (listen to Sketches of Spain), and look at other musicians who played with him, like John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Bill Evans. They all had great solo careers as well. Also check out Thelonious Monk, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Grant Green, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Chet Baker, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Keith Jarrett, Oscar Peterson, Stephane Grappelli, Stan Getz, Nina Simone.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
You could do a lot worse than to start working through the entire Pablo label, and anything produced by Norman Granz.

Concord Jazz label is another great source, especially for high quality mastering.

·
23,032 Posts
I'm much more into fusion, but I do have 4 or 5 Art Pepper CDs, a bunch of Larry Coryell (fusion and jazz), and some Ray Brown CDs. Then there's the Crimson Jazz Trio playing the songs of King Crimson and and a couple other jazz bands playing Zappa. Lately, here and there, I've been buying some modern big band CDs.

larry

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

^ Can't really answer that, but in addition to the guys Will2007 mentioned, you might also look at the bio/discographies of swing/big band drummers like Gene Krupa, Shelly Manne and Buddy Rich. These guys had their own bands as well.

A famous drum battle between Krupa and Rich (later parodied on The Muppets )...

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

Another guy you might check out is trumpeter Maynard Ferguson. He and drummer Shelly Manne were both part of Stan Kenton's group in 50's. I think Maynard and Doc Severinson (of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson) were sort of the last of the great trumpeters of the big band era.

Here's Maynard's band Big Bop Nouveau in a fairly recent concert with Diane Schuur. Maynard plays on the last couple of songs.

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman  /t/1520335/calling-all-jazz-fans/0_50#post_24426054

What are some good modern Big Band albums?
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Somewhat "traditional" big band type stuff

Ed Palermo Big Band - plays a lot of Zappa and some of his own stuff

Paris Jazz Big Band - jazz leaning

Brian Setzer Orchestra - big band version of Stray Cats

And if you wanna go hard and wild, some big band influence among others, check out Diablo Swing Orchestra.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some stuff by BPB and BSO, both very good. Some of the BPB is DVD-Audio 5.1. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned. I familiar with most of the artists ADU and Will2007 mentioned. I really enjoy stripped down trios too.

·
Registered
20,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper  /t/1520335/calling-all-jazz-fans#post_24433466

I just found another, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, while going through a pile of CDs.

larry

Saw these guys live in concert a few years ago. Talk about a fun show. You and me and the bottle makes three.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.