AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the HD20 because its Super Wide mode intrigues me. I have been able to find small bits here and there about exactly what it does, but I have found very few first hand impressions of it.

So for anyone using any Optoma projector that has the Super Wide mode and uses it with the intended 2.01 screen, I have some questions:

1. What size are the black bars when viewing 16:9 or 2.35 content? My understanding is that with a 2.01 screen Super Wide should eliminate bars altogether.

2. How is the image quality when viewing material with the Super Wide mode engaged?

3. What is your overall opinion of this feature? Normally I make masking panels for a 1.85 screen to mask it down to 2.35 when necessary, this time I am thinking that this Super Wide mode might be a more convenient way to go.

4. Where did you obtain the 2.01 screen?

5. Do you notice the loss of material that Super Wide imposes as it crops the images to fit the 2.01 screen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
how many people actually use a 1:2 ratio screen ?

i used to. and i was the only one i knew of that did. actually, imo, it is an ideal ratio. idk why directors have not discovered it

Super Wide. does that stretch the image ?

·
Registered
935 Posts
With SuperWide and a 2.0:1 screen, the picture always fills the screen, regardless of the movie's ratio. It's an interesting concept, sort of a new poor man's CIH system. Purists will scoff at it because of what it does to the picture - it chops off some of the top and bottom of a 16:9 movie, and some of the left and right sides of a 2.35:1 movie. But it does eliminate the black bars for both, so some people might like it.

It does not work when you're watching a sporting event with important info (scores, etc.) at the top and bottom of the screen. It cuts them off. But for most movies, it probably is a reasonable compromise, but of course you do need a 2.0:1 screen, a form factor you don't normally see. Of course you could make one yourself.

Jim

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/18265702

With SuperWide and a 2.0:1 screen, the picture always fills the screen, regardless of the movie's ratio. It's an interesting concept, sort of a new poor man's CIH system. Purists will scoff at it because of what it does to the picture - it chops off some of the top and bottom of a 16:9 movie, and some of the left and right sides of a 2.35:1 movie. But it does eliminate the black bars for both, so some people might like it.

It does not work when you're watching a sporting event with important info (scores, etc.) at the top and bottom of the screen. It cuts them off. But for most movies, it probably is a reasonable compromise, but of course you do need a 2.0:1 screen, a form factor you don't normally see. Of course you could make one yourself.

Jim

Isn't the concept that Super Wide is capitalizing on called constant area? I thought constant height was something different entirely.

I would still like to hear from any owners of an Optoma projector that are using this mode with a dedicated 2.01 screen, particularly HD20 owners. I'm seriously thinking about constructing a 2.01 screen and buying an HD20 to do this, but really want to hear first hand opinions and experiences first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an HD65 set with superwide on for all viewing, as I custom built a 2.01 screen (100"x50"). With 2.35 movies you get small top and bottom black bars, say about 1.5" wide, which I say is about half the size they would be with superwide off. I used to use PJ settings (vertical shift) to move picture to the top of the screen and then add 3" wide masking bar at bottom to clean things up a bit, but mostly now I just go the lazy way and overscan a little and that fills screen completely.

Regarding HDTV and 16x9 content, the superwide trims a little off the top and bottom, but the only time is really noticeable is on ESPN, you still get the scores on the bottom ok but the scrolling text below that gets cropped in half. Funny though how you can still read text with only the top half of the letters showing. On network broadcast I have never notice any scores being cropped, they just seem to keep anything important from being to close to the edge of their 16x9 picture. Let me know if you have any other questions......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts