AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...who has experienced a problem with this (commercial) plasma interfering with their av system? In my instance I am still plagued by a hum coming from the sub - ONLY when the plasma is turned on. The plasma is on it's own circuit. I have tried everything posted on this forum (thanks) but to no avail. I am thinking of getting an electrician to look for a neutral ground swap http://www.svconline.com/ar/avinstall_neutral_ground_2/ wiring problem, but before I do that I thought I'd try this post.

I guess what I am asking is has anyone experienced any type of interfence (hum, etc) moved the components away from the plasma and had the problem go away?

I really can't try this as I have custom length cables and paid for professional installation, so my components could only be moved a couple of feet, if that.

Thanks.

Vito

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Vito,

I have the 42PWD4UY and I don't get any hum coming from my sub.

In my setup, the sub is about 3-4 feet away from the plasma. All the components are off the same surge strip EXCEPT for the sub. THe power for the sub is plugged into a different wall outlet. I don't know if they are on the same circuit as the plasma as I'm not an electrician and I can't see through walls.

My concern is that it may not be your sub, but your receiver/amplifier. There should be some wire(s) going from your receiver to the sub. Try disconnecting that and see if you still get the hum. If it goes away, you know it's your receiver.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Vito,

I have the TH-42pwd5uz (consumer version). I have no hum from my sub. It most definetly sounds like a gound isolation problem though. More than likely if you have cable or sat it is in those lines. Check the ground blocks for any broken wires or grounding issues(they should be located next to where the cable/sat runs into the house, generally where your main power feed enters the house). Even if they look grounded make sure the connection is good (no rust and a clean path to ground). To reduce/eliminate ground loop all equipment should be plugged into the same circuit on your main panel. You may want to go and get yourself a recepticle tester (~$4.00) and test all the recepticles to look for a broken ground. they also sell ones for GFCI's that will check both but it is a little more $$.

You can also check all your wiring (is the speaker line from the receiver to the sub crossing/running parallel to a power cord?). These are very frustrating to figure out (took me about a week to figure out my problem, which was ground/power lines being visible running up the plasma only on cable and sat). You can get ground isolators from radio shack and there are links on this site on how to fix them. Do a search on "ground loop" and/or "ground hum".

Good luck.

PS How do you like the pic so far. I LOVE mine, wife didn't notice much until we watched some DVD's, then I get "Yeah, it's a little clearer". Women can't live with 'em, can't watch Plasmas and be awed either.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If the hum goes away when you use a cheater plug then it is most likely a ground-loop problem. You would be better off having everything on one circuit - that alone may cure the problem. There are several sites on ground loops and other audio noises - here is one:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

Dsmith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.